Re: Crash-Reboot Sims 4 (Yes, I'm back)

by holger1405

Original Post

Re: Game Crashes Computer?

@ChrinnieSims 

This makes things complicated.

I still would say the PSU is the most likely culprit for your issues, it might be that the PSU is doing well under constant load, and fails at load changes.

This is most probably a hardware problem, and a power issue is the most likely trigger for such a behavior of a PC.

But it also can be a different component, and it is very hard to diagnose this over the internet. 

What you can do is to test the memory with MemTest86 or to test the RAM sticks individual

If there is a PC shop in your vicinity they might let you test with a different PSU, for no or very little cost.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 21 of 52 (1,219 Views)

★ Guide

Right, well, it does bring in a specific answer for me anyway: I had planned to upgrade the GPU with the ol tax refund, guess that'll be a guarantee thing this pay day and probably a new PSU to boot.. .one a bit better and tad bit more powerful... for future upgrades anyway.

Thank you, @holger1405  and @puzzlezaddict for your Herculean efforts here to assist.  I will solve the problem if it's the last thing I do! :D

Message 22 of 52 (1,172 Views)

@ChrinnieSims 

You're welcome!

To bad we could not get a definitive diagnose, but I am sure you will figure it out. Standard smile

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 23 of 52 (1,163 Views)

Crash-Reboot Sims 4 (Yes, I'm back)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Some wonderful folks were helping me with this last week (earlier this week) and then we couldn't figure it out.  I spent the last several days with the NVidia forums trying different things to get the error to stop, but it doesn't.  Here is what happens: TS4 will play fine.  Sometimes, though, randomly, it will just crash-reboot the computer.  What I mean is it the game is playing, suddenly the whole computer just cuts off like a power failure, but then it reboots itself.  This could happen within 20 minutes or less or I could play for hours without an issue.  The error can also be caused by being in full-screen mode and alt-tab to something like Chrome to check something out or switching basically via tab-alt to any other window.  I have done a DxDiag, which I have included below.  The following tests have already been done:

1: Memory Check of some sort that checked the memory and found no errors.
2: HWinfo64 information has been obtained from a couple of these crashes (here's the latest: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lBwpTCwN8tzWKwn7L8DXmKIstGUP0aUE)

3: I have run a complete uninstall and reinstall of TS4.

4: I have reset the game to factory default without uninstalling and reinstalling.

5: I have run OCCT to stress the system, but this does not cause the issue (though the cores sure do heat up to around 96C and bounce up and down)

6: We have done a DISM.exe thing

7: Via NVidia forum I have run chkdsk /r /f

8: Firestrike benchmarks have been made (link: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/44464797) Also, the HWinfo64 from that test: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LQj8QYKyKNy9WFogPUGd2KdkV57lmuq8

9: I even have a SPECCY if anyone needs it

10: The ram sticks were removed, inserted one-by-one into each RAM slot and the problem persisted no matter which slot any single stick was in.

11: There were BIOS changes to help fix the problem, but they have done nothing so it's all be returned to AUTO.
12: I have also used the Repair feature via Origin.

13: I have ensured no dust/pet dander/pet hair in the system.  There was dust, but it is no longer there.  I do dust about every 6 months.

I'm literally being told by NVidia forums that it's nothing wrong with the computer itself, but the game.  And EA thinks it's not the game, but something else.  Could be the PSU, but... this literally does not happen with any other program.  I have used Adobe Premiere Pro with a 4K time line (very intensive on a computer), Cities:Skylines with around 750 mods and assets, and not to mention Chrome as the default browser with its RAM-hogging self.  I am so frustrated.

Message 24 of 52 (1,190 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@ChrinnieSims 

What you describe is known as a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Here you can read on how to disable the automatic reboot so you can see the error and read some basic troubleshooting you can do to solve it. If you need further help with the issue I suggest you post in a Windows forum.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-a-blue-screen-of-death-2624518

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 25 of 52 (1,153 Views)

@jpkarlsen 

If I understand the answer of @ChrinnieSims in the last thread right, there is no BSOD, the system just shuts down. 

That is right @ChrinnieSims ? You do not see a BSOD?

bsod-error.jpg

Message 26 of 52 (1,127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@jpkarlsen there is no BSOD.  It just shuts off... like someone cut the electricity.  I know BSOD's.  Used to get them in the old days of computing, back when processors were measured in MHz and internet connections used dial-up.

@holger1405 that's right, no screen like that.  I'll be happily simming away and then the computer is just off.  Then it reboots.  I hate the fact we can't figure this out, but I also have to find out what could be doing it.  NVidia forums thinks it is the game by virtue of the fact no other program causes this error.  

I've been of the impression that TS4 is the cause of the problem because it doesn't happen with any other game or program no matter how intensive they are on the computer.  This may not be a great rig by any measurement, but it still works well enough to deal with intensive programs without crashing.  Until TS4 comes into play.  I never did this before the time I last played (Feb 2019) and when I resumed (Feb 2020).  Though updates have happened.  Plus, since it can be random while playing TS4, it has to be something specific to what the game and the system are doing together at that time, right?  Like the last time the crash-reboot happened randomly, both sims went to work and time was speeded up while they were gone.  They both came home and a few moments after the time stopped running super fast, crash-reboot.  But it didn't happen the previous 5 times both sims were at work and time was sped through.  Same with sleeping.  Also, with Vlad randomly showing up and slowing down time while he's there, I never had that happen then, either.

And no, this is a 64-bit system that doesn't require the Legacy edition.  I've already reviewed the specs to ensure I can continue using this edition.  

If we can't point to the game, then I don't want to have to start randomly replacing things in order to fix this because that can get expensive quickly LOL  but I don't know anything else I can do.  

As the last ditch effort, if you were going to tell me, "Hey, dude.  If you want to start replacing parts, replace this first...." what would you do?  My current thought is to replace the PSU because as @holger1405 pointed out, there are power issues.  However, my question is this... if I were to invest in a new PSU and we still see this voltage problem, what would be the next step?  And if I replace the GPU, I will most likely upgrade from the 1050 Ti, so then I will still need a new PSU, so might as well start there LOL.  

Message 27 of 52 (1,115 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ChrinnieSims I merged your post with the old thread as it seems to be still the same issue you're facing.

Best to retain all the info in one thread so helpers know what you've already tried.

EDIT: Also unsolved to show it's still open.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 28 of 52 (1,091 Views)

★ Guide

Appreciate that.

Message 29 of 52 (1,083 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@ChrinnieSims 

CoolSimBro  wrote:

NVidia forums thinks it is the game by virtue of the fact no other program causes this error.  

I've been of the impression that TS4 is the cause of the problem because it doesn't happen with any other game or program no matter how intensive they are on the computer. 

To make this absolutely clear, this is not a TS4 problem.

The game of course reveals the problem, but it simply can't shut down the PC like that.
There are just two things that could trigger this behavior, a system level driver and a hardware error.

If it would be a system level driver you should see a BSOD, and because this is not happening a hardware problem is the most likely cause.

And here the PSU is, as said before, the most likely culprit, especially after the measurements of HWInfo.
Still, there are other possibilities.

Check the PSU cables, inside and outside the machine.
Try to use a different wall socket. 

Do you see bulged capacitors on the Motherboard or the GPU? 

Is the PSU fan working normal?

If you can't find any problem there I would look for a PC shop nearby to test the PSU, a problem on the Motherboard can't be ruled out.

If that is impossible I would start with the PSU. As said, you can buy at a place that allows returns. 

But you should replace this PSU in any case if you upgrade to anything stronger than a 1050, not so much on the watt side, 500 - 650w will be sufficient for about all GPUs, but on the quality side.

Message 30 of 52 (1,965 Views)