Re: Mac Exception Raised

by CutieHan96

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mac Exception Raised

★★★ Novice

I"m and a Mac user and ever since generations came out i've been having this problem (Almost more then a year and a half). Right now having this problem for close to 2 years I have just stopped playing the Sims 3. I don't have so lion. My macbook pro is more than capable of play this game. It's the 2010 macbook pro with i7 processor 4gb and 500 hard drive 512 on the video card. I just would like to play my game. This is a wide spread problem in the Mac Sims community. I have been in touch with ea for over a year and no one seems to be able to help. I'm very smart when it comes to computers and Macs so I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm updated to the latest patch no cc I've done troubleshoot multiple times. I just want some answers and help and know the problem is gonna be fixed. I just want to play my game

Message 1 of 89 (27,445 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 Mac - Exception Raised Error

Champion (Retired)

@kennedytess wrote:

this is my same exact problem! did you ever figure it out? it had been driving me crazy for hours!!!

Hi

Are you getting the exception raised error? 

If so, see the tips below.

Tips for Mac simmers

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. Close down other things that are running in the background. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

The game runs better if you switch off the memories system and disable the in-game Store and social features.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Caspin

View in thread

Message 85 of 89 (10,478 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have to admit I do have CC but even before I had this problem tons of times since I got this game three years ago! Every time a new patch comes out I keep hoping it would be patched but it doesn't. I really would appreciate it if this would finally be fixed, the whole Mac community would appreciate it! There isn't a fix at all because it is inevitable at some point.

Message 2 of 89 (27,313 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have had this appear when I installed Generations, but it went away after about three times. However, recently I installed Sweet Treats and this Exception Raised pop-up has been occuring 15-20 mins into gameplay! This is incredibly ridiculous! No matter what I try nothing from what the help sources have told me to do is working. Deleting the Prefrences Folder? Done and still the error occurs. Updating or removing custom content and mods? Done and still the error occurs. Deleting the caches? Done and still the error occurs. This is really annoying that to this day not one person has any solution but for us to fully delete our games, un-install and re-install all the games. Even so, that still doesnt even solve the issue.

Confusedmileymad:

Message 3 of 89 (27,274 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I'm having this issue as well. The error appears at random and doesn't seem to have a "trigger" in the game, but it does occur most often in the Create a Sim areas. Also interesting is that after each crash, the message I get informing me of said crash is different. Sometimes, it will say "The Sims 3 Pets has unexpectedly quit...", other times it will say "cider has unexpectedly quit." I've noticed that when the cider message appears, the game doesn't actually crash all the way. Instead, it just locks up and I have to force quit the game. (Last night I also heard some very unnearving stuttering, clicking sounds from my game as it was trying to crash. When I clicked out of the TS3 window to open Force Quit, the noises stopped.)
Message 4 of 89 (27,223 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Not really an answer, more like some info to help out, I am not a mac user myself, so sorry if this is all wrong:

Cider is the wrapper that EA uses to get games running on OSX, as they are coded to run in Windows and this can cause problems.

The symptoms everyone is describing sound an awful lot like memory exception error in Windows. Memory exceptions are usually caused by other programs using up memory that it has not been allocated and as such overwriting memory blocks that the main program have been assigned, OR in other cases, some bad RAM.

Running MemTest migth be a good idea, just to rule out that problem at least. Also, keep an eye on the system monitoring tool, and see if there are any spikes when these problems happen. If you see a sudden shift in the memory allocation it could mean that OSX is trying to balance out the memory, and this is causing a problem with Cider or Sims.

Message 5 of 89 (27,222 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Message 6 of 89 (27,200 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

thanks matshelge but this is no help. My mac is more than capable of running this game and after 2 years of research 2 years if the memory was problem i would have known by now. My dad is a computer programer with over 25 years of experince so i know a bit about trobleshooting and programs but can't figure this out. but memory is not the problem. I think the only way to fix this problem is with someone who knows macs and games. I only know one games (and pc i just switched to macs 3 years ago). But thanks anyway. But no help.

Message 7 of 89 (27,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Question:

Do you guys use custom content ? Did you try resetting the game to factory settings as described here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Troubleshooting-Steps/m-p/714/message-uid/714#U714

Path and everything will be different on Macs but it should do the same.

I wonder if the exception raised is similar to the simply crashing problem on PCs, meaning that some of the same troubleshooting steps apply.

I know there's a long thread over at the official Sims 3 forum on this matter but I don't know if there's a solution in there.

It might be useful to collect at what point the exception occurs to see if there's a common factor to this.

EDIT

Another solution I just found over at MTS (credit to ellacharm3d)

Steps

repair permissions

• /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, "Repair Permissions"

delete preference

• /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences folder

delete caches

• <diskname>/Library/Caches/<anything with Sims 3 in it>
  • /Users/<Username>/Library/Caches/<anything with Sims 3 in it>

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 89 (27,187 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i have the same problem. didn't work. i've tried everything.

Message 9 of 89 (27,179 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this is the error message.

Message 10 of 89 (27,175 Views)