Crashing and lag

by InsaneZanity

Original Post

Crashing and lag

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? city living, get to work, parenthood, cats & dogs, get together, outdoor retreat, vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? open game and go into live mode(game functions fine from start screen), menu>game options>other
What happens when the bug occurs? the game crashes immediately
What do you expect to see? the other options
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. updated to the latest version of origin

My mac has an i5 processor and 4gb ram, but hasn't had a problem with sims up until this past week. The loading takes significantly longer(20-30 seconds when it used to take about 10), the game is super laggy and the keyboard commands take several seconds to respond. I tried turning down the graphics, uninstalling all my mods, clearing space on my computer, and quitting all other applications while playing sims and had no improvement. Only things i can think of that could have triggered this was that i left it running overnight last week by accident, and that i updated origin last week. 

Message 1 of 9 (630 Views)

Re: Crashing and lag

Hero

Hi @InsaneZanity

moved this to the mac forum

@Bluebellflora can assist you better with mac lags and crashes but she'll probably need a bit more info about your mac.

What kind of Mac do you have ? What OS are you using ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 9 (617 Views)

@InsaneZanity

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Move your entire Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts to the desktop then load the game again, is it better?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 9 (606 Views)

★ Novice

Yes that did work, but once i recovered a save it started lagging again. I attached my computer's info 

Message 4 of 9 (599 Views)

@InsaneZanity

Your save is the issue. How big is your save file? Click on it once in your Sims 4 folder then hold down CMD and press i.

When you load your game empty your Sim's inventory and see if that helps.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 9 (590 Views)

★ Novice
it's 9.7mb, but my sims barely have anything in their inventories. I checked and there's probably hundreds of unplayed households(can't completely tell bc the images won't load anymore and scroll isn't working properly), that's probably the problem, right? Is there a quick way to delete all those households without having to delete mine?
Message 6 of 9 (574 Views)

@InsaneZanity

Go into Manage Households, top right corner when you are in the map screen. You can delete all the households there.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 9 (563 Views)

★ Novice
alright, i deleted all the other households and my file is down to 9mb. I went through all of the inventories and deleted everything i could which didn't do much. What else can i remove (besides the 50-something sims that are left) ?
Message 8 of 9 (549 Views)

@InsaneZanity

Nothing that won't compromise your saves. Are you still playing without CC/Mods? Your issue won't be helped with having 4Gb RAM in your Mac, 8Gb is preferred. You've removed everything you can so it's now down to the power of your Mac. You could try updating your version of macOS to High Sierra but to be honest I'm not sure that will help.

When you play is anything else running on your Mac? If so quit all other applications.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 9 (544 Views)