[POSSIBLE BUG] UI glitches and greyed out menus after April patch

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: [POSSIBLE BUG] UI glitches and greyed out menus after April patch

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I had the same issue. I created another thread (now closed) because I wasn't aware of this part of the forum until I stumbled upon another post somewhere. My game literately was working fine last night, I went to login this afternoon and Origin went offline and said a critical update went live yesterday.

Product: The Sims 4 (with all expansion packs)
Platform: Macbook Air (2017) ; Mojave 10.14.4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? TBD
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps:

How can we find the bug ourselves? 

1) Install latest origin update

2) Load Sims 4

3) Modify a sim in CAS or open the sims family manager

What happens when the bug occurs? 

See screenshots.

What do you expect to see? 

I expect to see the UI component.

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? 

Not on this machine

Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? 

Most recent Origin update.

STEPS I'VE TAKEN:

1) I have attempted to clear the cache and other temp files

2) Confirmed I haven't downloaded any mods

3) Started a new game

4) Reset the game

I'm going to attempt some of the fixes here in this thread, but wanted to share some additional info since others were also having this problem.

EDIT MAY 27, 2019 -- 7:11 PM CST:

I'm not sure if it helps anyone else, but after trying the repair tool and reopening the latest installed origin, it appears that it forced my Sims game to update. Origin was set to auto-update on my mac, but maybe this last update it ran into a problem and it bugged out (I will note that I ran into an issue where it did "update" but it took a LOT less time than normal. Went through the process of letting Origin update all of my Sims game (took about 5-10 mins) and it appears that the issue persists.

Message 71 of 188 (2,106 Views)

Re: April update game glitches

★★★★★ Novice

I had the same issue. I created another thread (now closed) because I wasn't aware of this part of the forum until I stumbled upon another post somewhere. My game literately was working fine last night, I went to login this afternoon and Origin went offline and said a critical update went live yesterday. I posted this earlier but it disappeared. If I see both posts, I'll delete the older one.

Product: The Sims 4 (with all expansion packs)

Platform:

Macbook Air (2017)

Mojave 10.14.4

1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Which language are you playing the game in? English

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)

What is your current game version number? TBD

What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them

Steps:

How can we find the bug ourselves?

1. Install latest origin update

2. Load Sims 4

3. Modify a sim in CAS or open the sims family manager

What happens when the bug occurs?

See screenshots.

What do you expect to see?

I expect to see the UI component.

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?

Not on this machine

Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?

Most recent Origin update.

STEPS I'VE TAKEN:

1. I have attempted to clear the cache and other temp files

2. Confirmed I haven't downloaded any mods

3. Started a new game

4. Reset the game

I'm going to attempt some of the fixes here in this thread, but wanted to share some additional info since others were also having this problem.

EDIT MAY 27, 2019 -- 7:11 PM CST:

I'm not sure if it helps anyone else, but after trying the repair tool and reopening the latest installed origin, it appears that it forced my Sims game to update. Origin was set to auto-update on my mac, but maybe this last update it ran into a problem and it bugged out (I will note that I ran into an issue where it did "update" but it took a LOT less time than normal). Went through the process of letting Origin update all of my Sims game (took about 5-10 mins) and it appears that the issue persists. 

EDIT MAY 27, 2019 -- 7:23 PM CST:

I've removed all of the items as suggested by @crinrict. Started a new game after removing all the save files and noticed that it was working correctly. Re-added the saves and the issue reappeared. I tried repairing the game and no mas. Any suggestions on how I can save the file without losing all progress? 

Message 72 of 188 (2,129 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
As long as this 1 save file is present in the save folder, the issue persists. The challenge for me personally is that this is literately the ONLY save file and it's really robust with at least 100 hours of play time. Removing the save file makes everything function as normal. :/
Message 73 of 188 (2,118 Views)

Re: [POSSIBLE BUG] UI glitches and greyed out menus after April patch

★★★★ Novice

Template for Bug Reporting

Issue

I'm having the same issues as stated. This began on May 26th. At that time it was only a minor texture issue with the easel and the paintings from the easel. (I was using a few mods + was on laptop mode at the time.) I started a new save earlier today (on May 27th) and nothing was wrong, until Origin said that there was a critical update. I updated Origin and relaunched, and everything was okay for a few hours until I found missing textures on some of the mounted fish. Then I removed my mods and made a new Sims 4 folder, but when I relaunched the game I found that the UI was messed up, but the fish textures and the easel/painting textures had returned to normal. I tried the ResetOrigin tool, and made yet another Sims 4 folder, but the issues remained whether or not I had my old saves in the new folder or no saves at all. Turning on and off laptop mode changed nothing.

Steps you took for Issue to occur

Firstly the issues just appeared out of nowhere. Then, I noticed that the UI buttons on the menu (specifically the sliders for the audio) were messed up. I went into one of my saves and tried playing a bit and realized that the same UI bugs posted earlier had happened to me as well.

Where does the bug occur ?

This has happened in two saves. One was started on the 26th of May, and one started on the 27th of May.

Mods/CC

I had custom content installed at the beginning, but the issue persisted even when mods and cc were removed from the game files entirely.

Expansion Packs/Game Packs/Stuff Packs

All

Occurring since

Nothing had changed, it just started happening on May 26th.

Operating system

Mac Mojave Version 10.14.2
Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
Processor 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Message 74 of 188 (2,098 Views)

Grey squares won't go away

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? - All Expansions - All game packs minus StrangerVille - Stuff packs: pet, backyard, kids, spooky, luxury
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It's obvious when it's there.
What happens when the bug occurs? A lot of grey squares end up appearing.
What do you expect to see? A lot of grey squares end up appearing.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I downloaded this MOD: Moar Columns in CAS. And it ruined my game completely, and it won't allow me to make an account to leave a comment.

Please help, it won't go away and it's really annoying.

Message 75 of 188 (2,109 Views)

Re: Grey squares won't go away

★ Apprentice

I've even deleted the Sims and started again and it's still there.

Message 76 of 188 (2,107 Views)

Re: Grey squares won't go away

Hero

HI @mossysapling 

I’ve moved your post to this thread referring to your known issue. Please try the suggestions in the first post and see if any of them help.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 77 of 188 (2,080 Views)

★★ Novice
Hey guys, to solve this problem you have to enable origin in game in the Sims 4 game properties AND in the origin settings,
if you have the problem of the target point in the first person mode that is not centered (in the left corner of the screen) you’ll have to turn off your retina display in your game settings.
Enjoy the game !
Message 78 of 188 (2,055 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have tried enabling Origin in game within the game itself and in the Origin settings. I have also disabled it AND re-enabled it to see if that would resolve the issue.

The only thing in this thread I haven't tried yet is to completely re-install the Sims 4, which I'm trying to avoid if possible--though seemingly unlikely at this point in the game.

Message 79 of 188 (2,038 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I found this thread and tried a few of the suggested tricks.  Those didn't work.  I got some more help from a Discord server and did some more tricks.  It worked for a bit and then the issue returned.  I have done everything from repairing the game, removing the mods folder, the 50/50 method, and a folder refresh.  So far the only thing that has affected my issue is the folder refresh.  It did not show immediate results.  The game seemed to "fix itself" after I played for a few minutes.  The issue returned after about an hour.  I tried another folder refresh but I was unable to get the same results.  I have been experiencing this for the past 48 hours.  It occurred after I updated the Origin client.

Here is my system: 

masOS Mojave version 10.14.5

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Macintosh HD

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I have City Living but no other EPs, GPs, SPs, etc.  Game version 1.51.77.1220.  I have not installed any new mods or cc since this event.

Message 80 of 188 (2,100 Views)