Re: Suspicious email

by RogellParadox

Original Post

EA DICE Team

@xARCHONxx

Hi,

It appears that you've been hacked. Please reach out to an Advisor at your earlier convenience to have your account re-secured:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/How-to-contact-EA-Help/td-p/5650100

Message 21 of 65 (9,963 Views)

★★★ Novice

I was afraid you'd ask me to contact you guys. This means I'll need to actually phone you again using Skype credits as your online chat never works when it's needed. And I'm one of many South African customers who cannot get in touch with you when it's most urgent without going through expenses of my own. None of which are ever recompensed by yourself of course.

Message 22 of 65 (9,952 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi Tom, 

I have received the same email also stating that I requested a paswword reset which I haven't.  I haven't used my EA Account in a very long while.  The only concern for me was the fact that the email stated "Dear (MY FULL IDENTITY NUMBER).  How would anyone at EA contact their clients by the full ID number?  Also the email came from [edit: email address removed]

View online click here.

Hi 000000000(MY FULL ID REMOVED FROM FORUM),

You're receiving this email because you requested a password reset for your EA Account. If you did not request this change, you can safely ignore this email.

To choose a new password and complete your request, please follow the link below:

https://signin.ea.com/p/web2/resetPassword?state=confirmed&token=INbCdD6FAe0ND8AcYXJcXCFYfCdvZNdnuZe...

If it is not clickable, please copy and paste the URL into your browser's address bar.

You can change your password again at any time from within your My Account portal at www.ea.com/.

Happy gaming,
The EA Team

If you need technical assistance, please contact EA Help.

Privacy Policy: Our Certified Online Privacy Policy gives you confidence whenever you play EA games. To view our complete Privacy and Cookie Policy, go to privacy.ea.com/ or write to: Privacy Policy Administrator, EA Swiss Sarl, Place du Molard 8, Geneva 1204, Switzerland

© 2017Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved.
About Us | Privacy and Cookie Policy | User Agreement | Legal

Origin is part of the EA Network

Your EA Security Code:

If you didn't request this code by setting up Login Verification, please go to your My Account page and change your password right away. For assistance, please contact EA Help.

Thanks for helping us maintain your account's security.

Happy gaming,
The EA Team

Message 23 of 65 (9,612 Views)

@jessventer

That looks like a legit email

@Straatford87 should be able to confirm

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 24 of 65 (9,605 Views)

is this a scam email?

★★★ Newbie

hey guys igot a password reset email is it a scam. theres no mention on ea page. also where the hells EAs live chat? 

The password for your Origin account was recently reset because a standard systems analysis indicated that your user name and password may have been subject to suspicious activity. We have no reason to believe at this time that the suspicious activity is the result of unauthorised access to EA's databases. Instead, such activity could be related to issues with phishing, use of weak passwords, logging in from shared connections or even using the same password on multiple websites. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and hope you will recognise we're taking this action to better protect your personal data.

At EA, we take the safety of your personal information seriously. Accordingly, we advise that you change the password on any other accounts where you used the same credentials as your Origin account. There are also other things you can do to help keep your account secure: use strong passwords, be sure to change your passwords at least a few times a year and use a unique password for each of your important accounts.

You can change your password here:
https://signin.ea.com/p/web2/resetPassword?state=confirmed&
token=INbCdD6FAe0ND8AcYXJcXOUwlTxRsxqpC6h...

if it is why doesnt EA have a way to actually contact them and report it.

Message 25 of 65 (29,309 Views)

Re: is this a scam email?

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @XCUTlON

I do believe that is an authentic email from the EA's system. Here is a case from the past, for example, where some people had gotten this very same email and an Origin Producer confirmed that the email is authentic : https://www.reddit.com/r/origin/comments/3kvol6/suspicious_origin_originating_email_requesting/

As for where is the Live chat, here's guidance to that :

First, click here : https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Then, login from the top right on that page, and choose your region. Go through the case information by clicking the corresponding images to your issue. Such as in this case, I would click 'Origin' as my 'game' , whichever platform you're on, and then choosing whichever topic and issue best matches your reason to contact the EA Support. Something like 'Manage my account' and 'Hacked account' perhaps wouldn't be too farfetched. After you are done with choosing everything, you will get a blue button that says 'Select contact option' . Click this.

There you should see a button 'Request live chat' . If the button isn't visible at all and the text tells you that you need to give them a call instead, then the system is purposefully wanting you to call them rather than talk in a Live chat. If the button is greyed out permanently though, or the chat just doesn't work at all, try out the following :

• Disable ad blockers
  • Disable pop-up blockers
  • Disable no-script
  • Allow cookies on EA Help
  • Press F5 to refresh the page
  • Clear the browser cache
  • Try another browser

Remember also that the region you choose can affect the support options given to you. You can always change your region to, for example, the UK or the US in order to contact their respective support functions. Likewise, remember that the support people are living people so they follow working hours of their respective region.

If you have any further questions or problems how to contact the support, here's a link for that : http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/How-to-contact-an-Advisor-via-EA-Help/td-p/5650100

Good luck !

Message 26 of 65 (29,294 Views)

EA DICE Team

@proxos666

Thanks for the heads up

All,

I can confirm that these emails are legitimate - no need to worry!

Message 27 of 65 (9,565 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've just received one more. Does it mean Origin's security is so poor that anyone can hack my account?

Message 28 of 65 (9,537 Views)

Re: is this a scam email?

EA DICE Team

@RedFoxxie @XCUTlON

I can confirm that it's legitimate. 

If you want to double-check this then you can hover over the link to see where it actually redirects you. It should always be something ending in ea.com, so e.ea.com is legitimate as well.

Kind regards,

Message 29 of 65 (36,372 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I just got the Origin email too.  Just keep in mind if you are not sure if an email is legit.  Always manually browse to the site in question and reset the password directly on the webpage.  This will help prevent you from getting hit by a scam.

Also note I am an IT Tech and I work customer service for several retailers over the years, in addition have alot of security training.  In most cases it is not the webpage/company site that is the issue.  Most cases are cause by another one of your accounts getting compromised and they try the user name and password on other site thinking that most people will use the same password.  I deal with this several times a week and most of them will admit to using the same password.  At least EA locks the account when they see an issue.

Message 30 of 65 (9,500 Views)