[FIXED] Rejoining a Branched Career

by mmsbludhound

Original Post

Re: Rejoining a Branched Career

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

khynnea wrote: 

What you're saying here is that you are restricted to only choosing one branch of the two available -- that might not be a bug. That might be a feature. I'd LIKE it if I could do all careers on one sim, and all aspirations, but the way it seems to be set up is that you cannot.

I think they are two distinct items, and it'd need to be verified if it is intended or not that a sim be able to do both career forks/paths or not. If we're supposed to be able to then it is bugged.

And inquiring minds want to know!  :D  I hope they release at least some info on this soon.

EDIT: Oh, bummer.  I did a little searching around, and apparently one of the Gurus has officially stated that you cannot switch career branches.  It should restart you at a high level (i.e. after the branch) when you restart the career.

Message 11 of 47 (4,150 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this issue as well. My sim has the Rennaisance Sim aspiration, so I had her drop out of a high level of the comedian track and switch to the writer career to fulfill one of her aspirations. When I rejoined the comedian track, it put her at the Jokester level (which I believe is the first option after the branch) with the promotion requirement to "Try Out Material" with three friends (which she had already done the first time she went through the career). However, the "Try Out Material" interaction is no longer available to her, even though she is at the appropriate career level to have unlocked it. So I am unable to progress in the career.

Message 12 of 47 (4,101 Views)

Hero

Thanks for the report

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 47 (4,098 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Thanks for the insight, bummer indeed! My sim wants to complete all the culinary aspirations but guess that's a no go :-(
Message 14 of 47 (4,094 Views)

Re: Career level changing after restarting the career

★★ Novice

I incountered the same problem.

For example:
The "ARTIST EN RESIDENCE" career suppose to be level 7, but it turn out to be level 1, after my sim rejoined the career after maxed out 
"ALL careers" at level 10.

Message 15 of 47 (4,078 Views)

Re: Career level changing after restarting the career

Hero

@Mauleo Merged with existing bug report

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 47 (4,065 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It can't be intended that you can only try one branch of a career on a single sim because there are different aspirations that require advancing in both of the branches.  I am having the same problem as the previous (not original) poster in that when I've quit my career and tried to start again to choose mixology it starts my sim already in the chef branch.

Really hope there's a bug fix patch soon....

Message 17 of 47 (4,040 Views)

Major Bug for Sims Repeating Careers That They Previously Completed

★★★★ Novice

Major Bug for Sims Repeating Careers That They Previously Completed: Makes it Impossible to Complete a Second Time

As you may know by now, if you complete the Chef Branch of the Culinary Career, then move onto a new job, and then decide you want to be in the Culinary Career again, you will not have the option of joining the Culinary Career. You will only be able to join the "new" "Chef" Career.

You start at Level 1 of the Chef career with the title of "Head Caterer." Head Caterer is also (or actually) the title for someone in Level 6 of the Culinary Career, who has selected the Chef Branch.

Well, this phenomena, which happens anytime you reach Level 10 of a career, quit, and then rejoin that career, is causing a lot of serious issues. In fact, I've been procrastinating posting about it because it is so complicated, but it is a really big problem that everyone should know about before you attempt to complete one of these "special" careers, which are really only the last 5 levels (or 6 levels if Tech Guru: Villain Branch).

So here's the problem. In order to advance in many of these careers, you must perform special actions that are unlocked by reaching certain levels of that career. However, since you are in "Level 1" of the "Chef" career, you WILL NOT be able to perform any special actions associated with being at "Level 6" of the Culinary Career." For some reason the game forgets that you are actually in the Chef Branch of the Culinary Career and thinks you are in some new career called the "Chef Career."

For example, right now my sim is in "Level 4" of the "Chef Career," and he must write a cookbook in order to be promoted. I have tried over and over writing cooking skill books (even though I know that they are not the same thing because I have written a cookbook before the first time around in this career), but no matter what, I cannot get credit for writing a cookbook nor do I ever get the option to do so.

Basically, my sim is permanently stuck in "Level 4" of the "Chef Career," and has absolutely no way of advancing so it's time for me to give up and switch careers...

I have another sim in the same situation. He is in "Level 2" of the "Oracle Branch Career" and must "Successfully Hack Into the Mainframe 3 Times" in order to be promoted. The problem is the same as before. At the true Level 2 of the Criminal Career, your sim does not yet have the option to hack the mainframe. So, even though his title of "Elite Hacker" should be Level 7 of the Criminal Career, it only registers as "Level 2," and he is also hopelessly stuck in place and needs to give up and move on to another job.

I hope you can come up with a resolution for this soon. 

I would also like to able to complete both branches of a single career with one sim, but that is a separate (but related) bug. 

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your help. 

Message 18 of 47 (3,970 Views)

Re: Major Bug for Sims Repeating Careers That They Previously Completed

Hero

@ggymnastt Merged with existing thread

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 19 of 47 (3,960 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same thing happened to me got to level 1 of the chef career and since i quit since she had a baby and a full time garden taking up her time later in her life i had gotten back into the career and started at that same level i left and when i got to the level with the "write cookbook" option it was not available. I had quit and rejoind i knoticed i was at the level 8 and got promoted and still no option to write cookbook. When i hover over it it says Sim can unlock this interaction buy progressing in the culinary career.

Message 20 of 47 (3,835 Views)