Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

by Fuchie

Original Post

Re: sims 3 not launching

@stillz12  I've moved your post to the master thread for your particular issue, which is that Sims 3 doesn't start correctly on most 12th- and 13th-gen Intel processors.  Please see the accepted solution on page one for a few workarounds you can try.

By the way, your dxdiag shows that Alienware Command Center is crashing quite a lot.  You already have the newest version Dell offers for your laptop, so it's a good idea to uninstall and reinstall it.  You can download a fresh copy of the program here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-il/product-support/product/g-series-16-7620-laptop/drivers

Or you could uninstall it and not reinstall it, which may be the better option if you have no particular use for it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 801 of 1,380 (456 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Launcher Won't Install CC and Store Content

★ Guide

I wonder if I can reply here instead of making a new thread?

I highlight the downloads I want to install through the launcher and when I click install, it turns grey but nothing happens and it goes back to normal after. 

I have Windows 11, EA app, I did transfer the files from an old laptop to a new pc via One Drive. There were no space issues during the transfer. What is going on?

Message 802 of 1,380 (483 Views)

@KatastrophicSim  There could be a few different things going on.  First, does this happen if you download a fresh copy of one item and try to install only that item?  If that works, then the issue is either your old downloads (they're corrupted or the launcher doesn't recognize that you own them) or the fact that you're trying to install so many at a time.  The next step would therefore be trying to install one of those at a time.  And if that doesn't work either, then you'll need to delete your old Sims3Packs and download fresh copies.

If the newly-downloaded item doesn't install properly, please move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download one item, and try to install it through the launcher.  If that works, copy one of your old downloads to the new Sims 3 folder and try that too.  If that's fine too, move over the rest of the items and install a few at a time; if it doesn't install properly, you'll need to download everything fresh.

If you do end up using a new Sims 3 folder, you can move your saves and other content from the old folder to the new one once you've installed all the content through the launcher.  It's best to only move the data you need to preserve, e.g. don't move over cache files or other files or folders that regenerate.  And use the new subfolders too—move your individual saves to the Saves folder rather than dragging over the entire old Saves folder, and so on.

Message 803 of 1,380 (460 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Yes, it happens then.

I tried that and the result is the same.
Message 804 of 1,380 (451 Views)

@KatastrophicSim  Okay, so even trying to install one new item in a fresh Sims 3 folder causes the same problem?  How full is OneDrive, and do you still run into this issue if you pause syncing?  The option shows up if you right-click the OneDrive (cloud) icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.

Message 805 of 1,380 (446 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Yep. OneDrive is 6GB/1TB full and pausing syncing did nothing.
Message 806 of 1,380 (439 Views)

@KatastrophicSim  Just checking, but does Sims 3 itself load properly?  If not, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

If the game works, then as a test, please create a new admin Windows account and try installing a few items there.  Make it local, as in, don't link it with your Microsoft account, and don't bring over any files from your other account or your old computer.  Just download a fresh copy of one item and see whether you can install it.

Message 807 of 1,380 (429 Views)

Re: sims 3 not launching

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so very much. I did what you told me and it's working now. I'm so happy I want to send you money or something. You are absolutely the best.
Message 808 of 1,380 (388 Views)

★ Guide

Oh, I didn't even think to check that but no, the game doesn't launch either.

I have attached the files requested but I have no idea how to do that admin thing you said.

Message 809 of 1,380 (416 Views)

@KatastrophicSim  I should have asked sooner; it would have saved you some troubleshooting.  You're seeing the same issue as many other players with a 12th- or 13th-gen Intel processor: the game doesn't start correctly on the higher-end models (and some very new Celerons).  The workaround is to limit the game to one CPU core as it starts to load, as described in the accepted solution of this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

The launcher's installer also runs TS3.exe (or TS3W.exe) and is similarly affected.  The launcher has its own .exe and is not affected, which is why you've had no problem opening the launcher but can't start the install process.

Message 810 of 1,380 (414 Views)