Re: One-Time Passwords

by Ian_DAFUQ

Original Post

One-Time Passwords

★ Apprentice

How do they work? Why do I get the need to reenter it at random when I exit the game?

Message 1 of 10 (746 Views)

Hero

@Cuiwe

The one time passwords are designed as a security mesaure in case someone has your display name and password but not access to the email address where they are sent.  I personally don't use that feature, I have a security key on my account which is more secure.

It's a free app for android / iPhone and it generates a random security key.  Plus you also get 100 cartel coins free each month by having it.  You can find more information on security key if you wish to switch to it found here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 10 (740 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you.

But what prompts me to reenter it? Some time period that has passed? The change in the IP address(it keeps mentioning that it doesn't recognize the computer I'm logging in from even though it's the same computer every time)?

Message 3 of 10 (730 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but I also have a problem with one-time passwords. Almost every time I try to log into the launcher it asks for one. I know I enter my password correctly, so I don't understand the need for this.

Message 4 of 10 (720 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don't actually have a problem with them per-se. I'm trying to figure out what prompts you to re-enter it once you log out(NOT ALL THE TIME mind you!). due to another, possibly unrelated problem I have. But a problem that's recurring and overlaps with OTPs.

Message 5 of 10 (707 Views)

@Cuiwe

Change of IP address would be one of the major triggers

Just to mention if you do not want to wait for an email set up a security key (which gives 100cc/month) and then you do not get the OTP mail

See this link for more details

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 6 of 10 (700 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The security key would probably be a good idea, but I don't have an android or smart phone. Is there another way to stop it happening, or am I stuck with it?

Message 7 of 10 (692 Views)

@Belnien

In the link i gave on the previous post you can use www.winauth.com , if need portability it can be setup on a usb stick

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 8 of 10 (685 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks proxos, I saw that but didn't know what (TOTP) meant. I still don't, but after following a few links it started to make sense. Still trying to figure out how it works, but I'll work on it. Hopefully by next week I'll be one-time password free.

Message 9 of 10 (675 Views)

★★★ Novice

SWTOR takes security of an account really seriously. Repetitive asking for one-time passwords could be annoying. Your only solution is to get a security key for your account. If you change IP like moving to another country, not having security key will be much more frustrating. That's because your email does not recognise your IP as well and will not let you access your mailbox thus cannot get the one-time password. If that's the case, change your proxy settings to an IP of your home country and then log in again.

Message 10 of 10 (630 Views)