DA:I won't start. DirectX error

by Faika_tyan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DA:I won't start. DirectX error

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey. So everytime i try to start the game it crashes right away and this message pops up

2018-02-01 15_35_52-Greenshot.jpg

I played DAI a couple of years ago on the same laptop and it worked just fine. Pls help, I wanna plaaaay

Message 1 of 5 (464 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: DA:I won't start. DirectX error

Hero

@Faika_tyan You may want to make sure your system is using the dedicated Nvidia driver and not the integrated one (although I'm not sure whether that GPU is up to running the game, especially if you have the newer DLCs installed). Also, the Nvidia drivers are over a year old, you may want to upgrade those.

There's also something weird going on with your dxdiag, showing a third display device that is just all 'unknown', haven't seen that one before. Might be nothing, just odd.

So I got bored and did a little searching... It seems quite a few people with similar systems to yours had this error after the Windows 10 creators update, not many solutions that I could find, unfortunately. One that seemed to work for some people is to check the Properties > Compatibility settings for the game (the .exe file) and make sure 'Disable fullscreen optimisations' is checked. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (539 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@Faika_tyan First thing to try is to go into Documents > Bioware > Dragon Age Inquisition > Save and delete the ProfileOptions_profile file. This is in case something went wonky with your game settings, it will revert them all to default.

If that doesn't work, some people have recently been having some issues after a recent windows 10 update. Not sure if it's the same issue, but doesn't hurt to try. A solution that has worked for some is to change your display resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 1680 x 1050, start the game, assuming it starts, close the game and revert your resolution to its normal setting, then start the game again.

If that doesn't help, please post a dxdiag so we can get a better idea of what's going on. You can find instructions on how to generate and post a dxdiag report in the spoilered section of this sticky. (Please, please don't attach it as a file to a post, hastebin is so much better).

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

Message 2 of 5 (430 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Leora85 Hi! So I tried deleting the options file and it didn't work. And I was pretty sure that the problem wasn't the resolution cuz mine is 1366x768 but I'd tried every resolution there is just to be sure. The game won't open with any of them.
Here's my dxdiag https://hastebin.com/qelaconoga.tex

Message 3 of 5 (417 Views)

Hero

@Faika_tyan You may want to make sure your system is using the dedicated Nvidia driver and not the integrated one (although I'm not sure whether that GPU is up to running the game, especially if you have the newer DLCs installed). Also, the Nvidia drivers are over a year old, you may want to upgrade those.

There's also something weird going on with your dxdiag, showing a third display device that is just all 'unknown', haven't seen that one before. Might be nothing, just odd.

So I got bored and did a little searching... It seems quite a few people with similar systems to yours had this error after the Windows 10 creators update, not many solutions that I could find, unfortunately. One that seemed to work for some people is to check the Properties > Compatibility settings for the game (the .exe file) and make sure 'Disable fullscreen optimisations' is checked. 

Message 4 of 5 (540 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks! The last one was actually the solution.

And as for the drivers I know but I can't update them or the laptop stops seeing my GPU. It's super weird but yeah :D Anyway thanks again, everything works
Message 5 of 5 (368 Views)