Dragon Age inquisition "Shuts down the computer within 2-5mins of game play"

by Zorical1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age inquisition "Shuts down the computer within 2-5mins of game play"

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

The game loads up and shuts down the computer within 3-5mins of play. Iv tried everything! Iv attached 2 files. If anyone has any thoughts on this please share. 

Message 1 of 11 (645 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age inquisition "Shuts down the computer within 2-5mins of game

★★ Novice

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  So i read one response where someone mentioned something about dust. I opened up the case and vacuumed up 1/4 inch of dust and foreign debris. Wiped everything and...................BooM! Problem solved!   

**Disclamer**  

- This evening I was playing a different game and for the first time it also shut down thew computer. So obviously it wasn't just DA after all. I would share this experience with others, for it may be that simple of a fix for other people. Thanks for your time all!!

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (786 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Zorical1

I removed the MSInfo file from your post as that may contain personal info.

There is a possibility your hardware (CPU or GPU) is overheating. The easiest way to check is to download, install and run Speccy

Have you upgraded your video card? Upgraded GPUs tend to have increased power requirements.

barry.png
Message 2 of 11 (627 Views)

Hero

I also suspect heat. The Frostbite 3 engine, which this game runs on, is known for its high CPU usage. In some Frostbite games you can get 100% CPU usage at times, and not all PCs are equipped to deal with the heat. (It's ironic that the engine is called Frostbite.)

I personally use MSI Afterburner to monitor heat. If the graphics card is running too hot, you can set Afterburner to increase its fan speed. If it's the CPU, you may be able to do so in your computer's BIOS (depending on your motherboard manufacturer). It's also a good idea to make sure the insides of your PC are clear of dust. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 11 (622 Views)

You have another post and it also has an msinfo post.  In it towards the bottom it lists crashes, DAI is shown multiple times with avghooka.dll  listed as faulting module.  If you don't find anything with heat or other power issues, you may try disabling AVG anti-virus and see if it makes any difference. 

As a note: 

A system/hardware shutdown SHOULD(99%+) be hardware related.  Unless the faulting module is blue screening your system and you have it set to automatically reboot, which most times it isn't set up this way and most newer OP systems are set to hang or simply crash the specific faulting system and keep the rest of the computer running and restart the failed system....  What I mean is if your video drivers crash, it should either default to basic drivers or restart the drivers and recover from the crash instead of taking down the entire system.  The only thing that SHOULD take down and shut down the computer is a hardware fault.

Like the others here, I would guess heat or power supply....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 11 (608 Views)

★★ Novice

No heat problems. Also its only when I play dragon age. Iv played it on this rig for years. Only now this happens. And thank you for removing the ms file. I appreciate it

Message 5 of 11 (602 Views)

★★ Novice

I also removed AVG from my system some time ago. 

Message 6 of 11 (600 Views)

What is your definition of some time ago.....

Per your msinfo file from other thread... dateed Jan. 24, 2018

018-01-24 7:55 AM Application Error Faulting application name: DragonAgeInquisition.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5600f278
Faulting module name: avghooka.dll, version: 16.71.0.7598, time stamp: 0x573d7a8b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000003143
Faulting process id: 0x1690
Faulting application start time: 0x01d394e89fd4c952
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\DragonAgeInquisition.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Av\avghooka.dll
Report Id: 2d48ac3a-8ff4-45cc-baf7-eda2f451eb2c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I do understand about it only happening on DAI....BUT it doesn't change the facts that MOST computer shutdowns are caused by hardware failure.  Running a hardware monitor program may help you find the issue, don't just say well it hasn't happened before or on another program when a system can start to fail at any time, and some programs stress different parts of the system more than others.  Check it, if you have a tower system, open the side and visually check the fans, especially when you start the game, and verify they are spinning up and fully functional.  I had a system that a fan was going bad, would work some, but wouldn't spin up and caused the system to overheat and crash...fixed the fan, fixed the issue, and would only occur on certain games that really stressed the system.  And yes, DAI is a very stressful game for many systems, even though it doesn't look in some ways like it should be, it uses Frostbite and does run CPU and GPU very hard.  IIRC some systems had an issue with CPU cores overheating due to it stressing ones too close to each other, and you had to go in and manually set which cores to use on those systems otherwise they overheated and crashed.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 7 of 11 (591 Views)

★★ Novice

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  So i read one response where someone mentioned something about dust. I opened up the case and vacuumed up 1/4 inch of dust and foreign debris. Wiped everything and...................BooM! Problem solved!   

**Disclamer**  

- This evening I was playing a different game and for the first time it also shut down thew computer. So obviously it wasn't just DA after all. I would share this experience with others, for it may be that simple of a fix for other people. Thanks for your time all!!

Message 8 of 11 (787 Views)

★★ Novice

Quick side note!  Heat values were fine. The dust and debris played some other role that interfered with my system. This is the best conclusion I can come up with at this point.

Message 9 of 11 (579 Views)

If you truly had that much dust inside the case of your computer, make sure you clean the cooling fins for both your CPU and GPU...ie the silver things below the fans on them.  That much dust built up usually means a whole bunch stuck on those fins and it will greatly reduce the cooling effectiveness of them, which could cause you issues down the road. 

I also know dust can conduct some electricity which can cause issues in computer systems if it builds up in the wrong location.....

Message 10 of 11 (558 Views)