Re: DX Error "GetDeviceRemovedReason" Still Happening...

by stevie_mCtowell

Original Post

DX Error "GetDeviceRemovedReason" Still Happening...

★ Apprentice

...after all these years!

dxerror

how is this still a thing? it seems worse since i updated win10 to 1709.

used to occur every now and then, now it seems to be every game, after 5-10 minutes of play

i have googled the cr*p out of it and none of the "fixes" out there seem to work.

i have a full fresh clean install of win10 1709 that is 3 days old, hence all drivers are the very latest,

a freshly downloaded copy of bf4 and all expansions,

every other game is fine.

Specs are:

16Gb 2800MHz c11-14-14-35 RAM

Rampage IV Black Edition

512Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD

2 x R9 290x Crossfire

AX1200i

i run the game @ 1920 x 1200, on the ultra preset

when it actually runs, it runs beautifully, 180-200 fps(capped)

any thoughts/advice/help/suggestions are welcome, i cant even list everything i have tried as there have been so many, pretty much every vid about it on youtube for starters...

i have attached my dxdiag, if you need any further info just ask

cheers, i'm crossing  my fingers, but not holding my breath,

TIA

stevie

Message 1 of 9 (1,069 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@stevie_mCtowell Hello,

Can you please try to reset your settings to default by deleting PROFSAVE_profile file in Documents>>Battlefield 4>>Settings folder? Then try to play with default settings some time.

Also, similar issue can be caused if your graphics card(s) is OverClocked so try to reduce the frequency. Test the game with enabled V-Sync in Video Settings. If you enabled Mantle API in video settings, try to disable it.

Message 2 of 9 (1,056 Views)

★ Apprentice

@IIPrest0nII wrote:

@stevie_mCtowell Hello,

Can you please try to reset your settings to default by deleting PROFSAVE_profile file in Documents>>Battlefield 4>>Settings folder? Then try to play with default settings some time.

Also, similar issue can be caused if your graphics card(s) is OverClocked so try to reduce the frequency. Test the game with enabled V-Sync in Video Settings. If you enabled Mantle API in video settings, try to disable it.

Hi, i havent altered the PROFSAVE_profile file, but will try deleting it, all game settings are what it defaults to anyway, the ultra preset

the GPU's are not overclocked, and have been working well in BF4 since release, even when i did have them overclocked.

if i was running mantle i wouldnt be getting a DX error now, would i? ;-P

i am considering enabling mantle though, but heard amd have stopped support for it, so thought it might actually be more of a problem on a brand new OS.

i am reluctant to go with vsync on, too many horror stories of massive input lag, but i guess i can give it a go

thanks for your reply

Message 3 of 9 (1,047 Views)

EA Community Manager

Hey @stevie_mCtowell,

if you should still be running into any issues after deleting your settings, please also consider setting up a new Windows User Account (make that an admin account) and launching the game from there. Here's how you do that. Some lines in your DxDiag suggest it might be an option to resolve this issue.

Message 4 of 9 (1,031 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Joker wrote:

Hey @stevie_mCtowell,

if you should still be running into any issues after deleting your settings, please also consider setting up a new Windows User Account (make that an admin account) and launching the game from there. Here's how you do that. Some lines in your DxDiag suggest it might be an option to resolve this issue.

thanks for your reply @EA_Joker i havent tested the other things yet, i am apparently already logged in as admin

i am the only person that uses this machine

admin

Message 5 of 9 (1,020 Views)

EA Community Manager

Hey @stevie_mCtowell,

even if you do have a Windows Admin Account and it's the only one on the PC, just try setting up another one, there's no harm, you can remove it later on. If it works fine, you can technically, transfer your data over to the new account, if not - you ruled one more thing out.

Message 6 of 9 (976 Views)

This video has solved the issue that you describe for me in the past:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD6j3xTH-vg&index=56&list=WL

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 7 of 9 (969 Views)

★ Apprentice

so i thought the deleting of the PROFSAVE file had fixed it, but no, crashed again last night after less than 5 mins, but curiously lasted fine for the rest of the round once i re-joined

@ragnarok013just tried the "clean boot" method from the vid and that got me kicked by punkbuster

it also seems as though most of the programs supposedly disabled from starting with windows still started anyway, in fact i think they all did...steam gave me a weird error, but still started by itself...

i had seen that vid but that guy is just sooo painful to watch!!

re-installing DX didnt work either, i had already tried that earlier, also, brand new windows install

like him, i refuse to down clock my cards, they are at reference speeds anyway

there's a new version of afterburner and rivatuner available, i'm gonna try them next as well, these guys can be a problem, but damn it, i wanna know my GPU temps!!!

havent tried the separate user account yet, but will when i have time

so, still no solution but i thank you all for your suggestions!!

Thumbs up

Message 8 of 9 (960 Views)

★ Apprentice

so an update to this, i may have found the culprit, it appears that if i have the aquasuite software running in desktop mode, it gets the error, regularly, but not every time

if i have the software running normally in a window, it hasnt crashed,.................yet

Message 9 of 9 (888 Views)