Re: videoconfig file missing

by XHelperZ

Original Post

videoconfig file missing

★★ Novice

Hello,

I'm trying to edit my videoconfig file so that my video settings will stop resetting every time I reopen the game but the file does not exist anywhere within the apex legends directory (I play on steam).

Message 1 of 4 (2,084 Views)

Champion

Hey @sigxo 

The videconfig file is located in this directory: %userprofile%\saved games\respawn\apex\local

If the previous folders or the file itself is set to read-only then it will not be able to save changes made in-game, so it's recommended to make sure it's not read-only.

Though if that's not the case, the best thing to do is probably to back up the file and delete it from that directory to let the game generate a new one.

After a new one has been generated you can simply copy over the contents from the previous videoconfig file.

Message 2 of 4 (2,070 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Since I'm on steam that file path is incorrect. I attached a screenshot in my 1st post. Since the file is not there how would I generate a new one considering I can still play the game with the file missing.

Edit: I even deleted the entire apex legends folder and verified the integrity in attempt to get it reinstated, still not there

Edit 2: Deleted entire file path of apex legends, uninstalled, and resinstalled. No such file as "videoconfig". Appearing the exact same as my original screenshot posted above. 

Message 3 of 4 (2,054 Views)

Champion

@sigxo 

This filepath generates regardless of your platform as this is both used on EA App and Steam to store extra data like video settings, keyboard binds and other settings.

I'm not sure why this specific directory was chosen, though it's not uncommon for games to store this kind of data in the %appdata% section, so it's not uncommon for games to store this data in a different location than the main directory.

This is why validating the files doesn't fix this issue, as validating the files should only repair the main directory. (At least, that's how it works with most games)

You can navigate to this location with the help of these steps or the video at the end of this post.

1. Press Windows Key + R
  2. Put in: %userprofile%\saved games\respawn\apex\local
  3. Press Enter or click on OK

Once there you need to check if the folder itself or if the file (videoconfig.cfg) is set to read-only.

I'd recommend unchecking the box so the files and folders are not set to read-only, otherwise the game wouldn't be able to make changes to these files.

If that doesn't fix it, you should delete the file in question.

The game will generate this file again on startup, so there's no need to validate the files.

This video might also be of help: https://youtu.be/4APSQvmTKgs

Message 4 of 4 (2,003 Views)