Re: Apex Lagends

by NamelessHenchman

Original Post

Community Manager

@NamelessHenchman 

Those hops that show 100% packet loss are most likely just not reporting the results rather than losing all packets. There is a hop that's dropping 1%, but it looks like this trace was connecting to a server outside of Australia, so some high ping and packet loss isn't unexpected near the end. 

Have you been keeping an eye out on your temperatures while Apex Legends is running? Another possible cause for an issue like this is hardware throttling. If your CPU or GPU is running too hot it might be throttling itself to avoid damage, which can cause performance issues. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 11 of 22 (444 Views)

★★ Guide

Hi @EA_Kent ,

My i7-4770k CPU only gets to about 50 degrees celsius(122 f) under load on a 84w TDP. It has a huge Noctua heatsink for overclocking, but is not overclocked.

My GTX 1070 GPU gets to about 70 degrees celsius (158 f) under load, so way off max temps.

I do not detect any hardware throttling when running various monitoring devices: CPUz, GPUz, Core Temp, GPU observer, etc.

Message 12 of 22 (419 Views)

★★ Guide

Why so much Packet Loss?

Apex Legends Packet Loss 29.7.20.PNG

Message 13 of 22 (387 Views)

Community Manager

@NamelessHenchman 

Hmm, it's strange that it's only happening on that specific datacenter. Have you tried connecting to any of the others to test and see if you're still seeing the same performance issues, or does it only happen on the one that's showing packet loss? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 14 of 22 (358 Views)

★★ Guide

@EA_Kent 

So, Amazing story, I played on Friday night ( a peak time ) without too much trouble. No jerkiness, fairly smooth.

So either I am at the Mercy of my WAN (Maybe congestion, which doesn't reflect in my ping or Download/ Upload speed) Or

at the Mercy of the data centres. I played on Sydney Data Centre (the top of the list) in the below example. Yet see packet loss on Sydney 2? seems to be random.

Apex Legends Data Centres 31.7.20.PNG

Message 15 of 22 (290 Views)

★★ Guide

@EA_Kent 

So Amazing Story, I played on Friday night (peak time) with no jerkiness, relatively smooth.

So either I am at the mercy of my WAN (Even though my ping and D/U speed do not indicate any problems) Or

At the mercy of the Data Centres.

I played on the Sydney Data Centre below (top of the list) last night. Yet notice how now Sydney 2 has the packet loss? Seems a bit random?

Apex Legends Data Centres 31.7.20.PNG

Message 16 of 22 (290 Views)

★★ Guide

Testing, Testing?  Just posted twice on the weekend and they have disappeared?

Message 17 of 22 (324 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @NamelessHenchman

I checked to see if your posts were caught up in the spam filter, but I wasn't able to see them. I'm not sure what might have happened to stop them from going through unless we were having a hiccup here on Answers HQ. 

It is strange that the packet loss seems to migrate to other servers. I wonder if this might be happening because of a node somewhere in between your home network and the servers. Does it seem like there's any pattern to the time of day or anything when this is happening? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 18 of 22 (284 Views)

★★ Guide

@EA_Kent 

The two posts above the testing one were the ones not showing - they are now - that's weird.

I usually play peak times, Friday and Saturday night. Have had a smoother experience during the day on weekends.

If packet loss was happening because of a node somewhere, wouldn't it show on the UO Traceroute? And isn't packet loss caused by overloaded servers dropping the packets?

Would be good to know a Apex Data Centre IP I could test?

Message 19 of 22 (251 Views)

★★ Guide

@EA_Kent 

Just played on a Tuesday night

Still micro stutters, jerkiness. Packet loss indicator did come up a for a bit though.

No packet loss on any servers being reported:

Apex Legends Data Centres 4.8.20.PNG

Message 20 of 22 (228 Views)