Installing Sims 4 on C: Drive, Keeping Sims 4 Doc folder on D: Drive Possible?

by SimplyAly

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Installing Sims 4 on C: Drive, Keeping Sims 4 Doc folder on D: Drive Possible?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello!

I was finally able to build my first gaming desktop. To keep things concise, I have two hard drives installed. The first is my C: drive and an SSD. I'd like to keep only my games and other important programs here. On my second drive (D: ), an HDD, I want to keep everything else (documents, pics/vids, downloads, etc.). 

So, I've installed all my Sims games (2,3,4) and expansion/stuff packs from Origin on the SSD C: drive. I want to keep those program files there. I have not started any of the games yet because I don't want to generate the Documents folder on the C: drive. I've seen posts about moving the game from C: to D: but that's not exactly what I'm trying to find out how to do. Instead, I want to keep the program files folder (and play the game from the SSD to boost performance) while keeping the Documents folder on the HDD drive. Basically, I would prefer to not clog up my C: drive with my inhumane amount of mods. 

Is it possible to keep the fresh installed game in the programs Origin file on the C: (SSD drive) while having the EA Documents folder in the other HDD D: drive? Will this slow the game down at all or cause it not to work?

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 10 (4,728 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Installing Sims 4 on C: Drive, Keeping Sims 4 Doc folder on D: Drive Possibl

Champion (Retired)

@SimplyAly 

While it is not possible to move only the Sims 4 folder you can move the entire Documents folder.

To move the Documents and downloads folder see this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (4,712 Views)

All Replies

Re: Installing Sims 4 on C: Drive, Keeping Sims 4 Doc folder on D: Drive Possibl

Champion (Retired)

@SimplyAly 

While it is not possible to move only the Sims 4 folder you can move the entire Documents folder.

To move the Documents and downloads folder see this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 10 (4,713 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So if I were to make the Documents folder on my HDD the main Doc folder would it be considered as "on the c: drive" by the computer? I could keep the game program files folder on the actual C: drive and it would work? Would doing so slow down the game?

Message 3 of 10 (4,703 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The drive letter as such is irrelevant to Windows it looks for the path in the Registry. It will not slow down the game except briefly when loading or saving because the hdd is slower than the ssd.

Message 4 of 10 (4,701 Views)

★ Novice

Hi! I tried to move my documents folder but it gives me an error saying it can't be redirected. Is there a way to fix this? Or some other solution to allow the Sims 4  to run of my D drive?

Message 5 of 10 (3,827 Views)

@acossari  Please post a screenshot of the error, and describe how you're trying to move Documents.  Please let me know whether you have OneDrive enabled as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 10 (3,800 Views)

★ Novice

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, thank you for responding. I have fixed the issue Standard smile

Message 7 of 10 (3,768 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hello, i am currently having the same issue and was wondering if you could please tell me how you were able to solve this issue... thanks so much in advance for your time

Message 8 of 10 (3,618 Views)

@410Mane  What exactly have you tried so far?  If you get an error message, please post a screenshot.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 9 of 10 (3,605 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Message 10 of 10 (2,479 Views)