Expansions not showing in-game Sims 3

by Synthetic_Poof

Original Post

Expansions not showing in-game Sims 3

★ Novice

Help! My whole game has been messed up! Everything was fine. Then I deleted the Sims 3 off of Origin in order to stop Origin from freezing. It had no effect on my game, which I launch from Steam. Then I brought new expansion packs, WA and Generations, and they wouldn't install. When they did, they didn't show in-game. Also, I didn't get Simpoints from WA, even though EA said that I had been credited after registering WA. I re-installed Sims 3 on Origin, and all the expansion packs and High-end loft stuff pack (?). Now, Origin launches an entirely different game, with no CC or expansions, and Steam doesn't show expansions at all! Help! 

Message 1 of 2 (272 Views)

Re: Expansions not showing in-game Sims 3

@Synthetic_Poof  The SimPoints don't show up automatically; you have to click a button to redeem them on the Sims 3 Store site.  I actually don't remember exactly where it shows up, but if you go to the main store page, I think it should be there.  (If not, go to My Page.)  The button is on the left and says something about redeeming points.  If you don't see it, clear your browser cache and try again, or use a different browser.

Origin and Steam installs can't be mixed; having them on the same computer is just asking for trouble.  Origin packs can't be added to a Steam install, either.  To add Steam packs to an Origin install, you need to register your packs in Origin, as you did, and then download entirely though Origin.

Now that you have two separate installs, and everything is mixed up, the only way to fix this is a clean uninstall of everything.  Start by renaming your TS3 game folder in Documents\EA and moving it somewhere safe (your desktop is fine), just to make sure it doesn't get deleted. It actually sounds like you may have more than one game folder, since Origin isn't recognizing your custom content.  Check OneDrive for extra folders.  If you can't find any, search your computer for "deviceconfig"—each game folder will have one inside.  (Note:  This refers to user game folders, the ones that land in Documents and contain your saves, cc, store stuff, etc.  This is different from the game's program files, which you'll need to uninstall and reinstall.)

Once you've sorted through your game folders, uninstall TS3 from both Steam and Origin.  Then use a tool like Piriform's CCleaner (the free version is fine) to remove all TS3-related content from your computer, including the registry.  If you don't, the game may not launch going forward.

Once you've removed everything, you need to decide whether you want to play through Steam or Origin.  You really can't have both.  Install the game through one or the other, launch it once to create a new game folder, and then you can copy over any content you'd like to keep from your old game folder to your new one.  Here's an explanation of where to find those files, and which ones you might want to preserve:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (251 Views)