The Sims 3 64-bit & metal NOT WORKING

by luckypalmer

Original Post

Re: The Sims 3 64-bit & metal NOT WORKING

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I have the same issue but when I set fullscreen to 0 it won't launch the game at all
Message 21 of 40 (1,147 Views)

@Kamara6612  What happens when you do play in fullscreen?  Please describe how the game works or doesn't work for you, and list the packs you currently have installed and the world(s) in which you're playing.

Please also attach your deviceconfig.log to a post; it's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  (You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.)  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 40 (1,141 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict It brings me into either a zoomed-in version of my home screen or a black screen with a white box in the middle that says Sims 3 at the top. Both requiring me to force quit my game. I have not yet been able to play my game at all since the installation of 64-Bit so I don't know how the game functions yet. 

Expansion Packs: Generations, Into the future, Late Night, Pets, Supernatural, World Adventures, 

Stuff Packs: High-End Loft Stuff 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 23 of 40 (1,126 Views)

@Kamara6612  Just checking, but when you open options.ini, are you using TextEdit, and when you save the change, does the file still have the .ini extension?  If the file has a different extension, the game won't be able to read it, but another file with the name "options" would block the creation of a new options.ini in the same location.

Otherwise, try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, try editing options.ini to set a different resolution.  Search the file for resolution, and you should see something like this:

resolution = 1024 768 0

Try 2048x1152 and 2304x1296, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.

Message 24 of 40 (1,106 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello, thank you for checking in! I am using TextEdit and when I save the changes it does still say .ini. I tried disabling Origin in-game to no avail. I just changed the resolution for both windowed and fullscreen with the same results as in the photo attached. If you can not figure out the issue, do not stress. It is perfectly fine. I absolutely appreciate your time and effort. 

Message 25 of 40 (1,090 Views)

@Kamara6612  Try playing in a new user account on your Mac.  Make sure it's an admin account; use only letters and numbers, no special characters or accents, in the username.  And don't import any settings or any files from your existing account, or sign into iCloud Drive, or really anything you do in your current one.

If that doesn't help, do you have a cleaner app or similar installed on your Mac?  If so, please disable or uninstall it—these apps do more harm than good and can even remove critical system files.  If you have an antivirus installed, please try disabling it at least long enough to test.  Some programs block applications from writing to Documents, which would prevent Sims 3 from working.

Message 26 of 40 (1,079 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict I have read through everything on this thread and nothing at all is working for me. Can you explain what you mean by changing the resolution for full screen and windowed screen? I want to make sure I am going about this the right way. Thanks!

Message 27 of 40 (749 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@sydneywhite1315 To add to this, every time I try to mess around with the resolution numbers and then try to start a game, when I go back into the Textedit doc, the numbers are reset, even though I save every time.
Message 28 of 40 (744 Views)

@sydneywhite1315  The options file won't accept most resolution values and will simply reset to the default or the last supported resolution.  So instead, try changing the settings from the game options.  Cmd-return should switch between fullscreen and windowed modes, but for a few people, that doesn't work; you can try cmd-crtl-F instead, which is the OS's command for the same.

When playing in fullscreen, you should always choose a resolution that matches the aspect ratio of your monitor, although it doesn't matter in windowed mode.  For example, my laptop has a 2880x1800 resolution, so I'd choose that or a lower resolution that still has a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Message 29 of 40 (736 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, my gam will let me play with a family for a couple minutes then kicks me out. I also have every Sims 3 expansion pack installed and it won't connect them to my Sims 3 game on my mac? It says I have them "unlocked" but won't let me play with them

Message 30 of 40 (438 Views)