Re: Can't register account in game

by flare042

Original Post

Can't register account in game

★★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I originally bought the game and all of the dlc through steam but added it to my EA account following the guides on this forum, I also reinstalled it through origin too (I don't have the steam version installed anymore.) just to make sure but I still can't register?

It keeps giving me the "an unknown error occurred during registration. please try again" message, I've tried changing my password to something more simple too, deleted the login file in the roaming folder and also checked my firewall settings...

I can't think of anything else to try at this point - I genuinely don't know why it won't let me register ):

Does anyone know how to fix this at all or am I just completely out of luck? ):

Message 1 of 88 (21,121 Views)

★★ Pro

Make sure you are using the correct registration form. There should be three boxes at the bottom - email, password, and screen name. Enter your EA Account (same one used for Origin) in the email and password boxes, and a new screen name to use for Spore in the last box.

Failing that, can you login to Spore.com? After logging in, it should show your email address at the top of the page - is this correct? If it shows MySpore page or a screen name (username) then you already have a Spore account registered, and can just login through the game.

Message 2 of 88 (21,034 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I can login to Spore.com, it shows my email at the top of the page. I've been making sure I'm using the correct registration form as well, I've even tried shortening both my ea account's password and my email to one without any special characters in it because of the password character limit but it still won't let me register in game, it always shows the unknown error message at the bottom ):

Message 3 of 88 (21,023 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having the exact same issue and have been getting the exact same errors. I got an Origin copy of the game from EA support. After two more tickets trying to log in I was told that the game has been sunset and the online features are no longer available. Though there's no indication of the plug being pulled on the game that I can find anywhere, and the Sporepedia is alive and kicking with new stuff. I really want a definitive answer to this.

Message 4 of 88 (20,998 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Same problem here too. Even after all the trouble getting EA support adding Spore and DLC to my Origin account, deïnstall Steam-version, disabling my firewall, deleting login.prop.. still getting that annoying error! 

@Kyle_Necrowolf I can also log in into spore.com (shows my e-mailadres). But I'm still not able to register ingame. Any other thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Message 5 of 88 (20,984 Views)

★★ Pro

Just to confirm all of the following...

• The game was installed via Origin, Steam, or GOG. The disc version and other versions of the game will not allow you to register or login, those specific versions have been discontinued, but the other three are actively supported.
  • Spore is listed under My Game Library in Origin. If you have the Origin app installed, click on Spore, click the gear, Game Properties, and verify that a CD key is listed. This key must be present before you are allowed to register, as the Spore server will check for it.
  • If you've only recently registered Spore on Origin, sometimes it can take a few hours before it updates on the Spore server
  • You can login to Spore.com and it shows the email address at the top.
  • You are registering through the form at the bottom of the registration screen in-game, by entering your EA/Origin email address, password, and a new screen name for Spore.
  • Your email, password, and new screen name do not contain special characters, and are under 16 characters long.

If that's all correct, I'm looking into if this could be a server issue.

The server appears to be correctly identifying accounts that don't exist, and that already have a Spore persona registered, so it's clear that the registration form isn't broken entirely. If I have any other findings I'll post back.

Message 6 of 88 (20,962 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Kyle_Necrowolf Here goes:
- game is installed via Origin
- Spore is listed, including expansion GA but not C&C, since C&C could only be installed together with installing Spore.
- Spore is registered last wednesday morning CEST (june 16) on Origin
- I can log in on spore.com and shows my e-mail
- I am using the right form (three boxes)
- assuming you mean there should be no special characters in my password / screen name (e-mail without @ would be difficult); there aren't any, it's just 11 chars long.

Verrified all of this just right now.
Message 7 of 88 (20,949 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Kyle_Necrowolf yeah, all of that is correct and spore's been installed since Saturday for me.
Message 8 of 88 (20,936 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Kyle_Necrowolf

Game is installed via Origin (originally purchased on Steam, support added the game to my Origin account)
Spore is listed in Origin library
Spore was registered 2021-06-22
I can login to spore.com and it shows my email
I am attempting to register with the 3 boxes
Email, password, and desired username are 16 characters or less

I'm still getting the "An unknown error has occurred during registration. Please try again later" message.
Message 9 of 88 (20,862 Views)

★★ Pro

Definitely looking to be a server issue. The message that shows up is being produced by the server itself - the entire in-game registration window is actually just a webpage on spore.com, https://community.spore.com/community/auth/registerNew (note that the page won't load unless it's accessed by the game) and that webpage contains the error message.

So it's definitely not some sort of connection issue or anything, and it does correctly identify when the email/password is incorrect or a Spore persona already exists on that account. The rest of the Spore server seems to be operating normally.

I'm gonna play around with it some more, but there's not a whole lot I can do as I don't work for EA or Maxis. Might need to try and get in contact with them, if there's no response on this forum then I'll see if  can find anyone with contacts at Maxis. Last I heard the live ops team (which manages the Spore server) was mostly working on other Maxis products so not sure who all is still there, but there should be someone who can look into it.

I'm guessing there was some backend change, possibly on the Origin side, that broke the connection between the Spore server and the Origin server, thus it can't validate whether an account owns the game. It might be possible to manually upload your CD key into the Spore server, as this was possible years ago (performed automatically by the game), since the disc version did not require use of Origin. Going to research that a bit, in case we don't hear from Maxis soon.

Message 10 of 88 (20,841 Views)