The Sims 4 will not launch

by LoraLovesTheSims

Original Post

The Sims 4 will not launch

★★★★★ Newbie

The Sims 4 will not launch. I have checked for updates and did a repair for the game but it will still not launch.  I have thought about uninstalling it but I do not want to risk losing it and the game packs and other extra content I have. What steps should I take? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4 (263 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 will not launch

[ Edited ]

@LoraLovesTheSims  First of all, you won't lose your owned content (the base game and packs) if you uninstall and reinstall.  Your Origin game library owns these, not your computer, and you have the right to install the game as many times as you want, on as many systems as you want.  Your saves and other user content are in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, and you can make a copy of that folder to preserve it before uninstalling.  (The folder isn't supposed to get deleted, but there's still a chance, so better to have a backup.)

Having said that, you don't necessarily need to uninstall and reinstall.  Please let me know what you see when you press Play.  Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And let me know what antivirus you run.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (257 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your response. I am not sure of what antivirus programs I have.  When I press play for the Sims 4 the Origin screen minimizes and that is all that happens. I did install the Sims 3 and it worked fine.

Message 3 of 4 (237 Views)

@LoraLovesTheSims  Okay, open the Task Manager, click on More Details if necessary, and look through the background processes list for anything that might be an antivirus.  You can ignore all the entries with a Windows logo.  (It'll be obvious when you're looking.)

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (228 Views)