Sims 4 crash on loading screen

by a2f953e3fc78a62b

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 crash on loading screen

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

hi! my sims 4 has been crashing at the loading screen, this has never happened before so i am a bit confused. i tried starting from scratch (renaming the ea folder) but during cas, i can not proceed because the check button does nothing, though it makes a sound. i think this may be cc related since i installed a bunch of ccs these past few days BUT i can't figure out which ones because i didn't get to test my game when i did some cc haul. thank you! i use windows 11 btw

Message 1 of 7 (357 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 crash on loading screen

@a2f953e3fc78a62b  Your computer has almost no free space at all on C, so little that that alone could easily explain why Sims 4 won't launch.  600 MB isn't enough for even Windows itself to maneuver, let alone a game.  Please try to clear at least 20 GB in total, although 15 should be enough to at least ensure that low space isn't contributing to the Sims 4 issues.  The Downloads folder is a good place to look for extraneous files.

I'd normally suggest moving data to D, and you can do that to some extent, but D doesn't have a lot of space either.  So be careful with both drives' free storage.  You can see the values any time by opening a File Explorer window and clicking This PC in the left panel.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (273 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide
@a2f953e3fc78a62b The best way to check is to use the 50/50 method I'm afraid...

Since you just added some CC, maybe sort your mods/CC folder by date created and remove the most recent batch you added (remove localthumbcache as well). Then try again to see if it's one of those.
Message 2 of 7 (337 Views)

@a2f953e3fc78a62b  When you started from scratch, did you add back any mods or custom content at all?  If so, please start with another clean Sims 4 folder, except this time, don't add anything to it.  Move the existing one to the desktop, and if it doesn't move or just copies, let me know.

If you can't exit CAS even when using the clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 3 of 7 (321 Views)

★ Novice

hello, i have managed to fix it the other day by removing and reinstalling my newly added mods and it worked okay without having me restart. but now, the problem is back. which is strange because when i first loaded my game, it was okay but when i exit to main menu to change worlds/save file, it crashed there. i tried removing the mods, though, i didn't install anything new these past few days, and it wouldn't work. 

Message 4 of 7 (285 Views)

@a2f953e3fc78a62b  Your computer has almost no free space at all on C, so little that that alone could easily explain why Sims 4 won't launch.  600 MB isn't enough for even Windows itself to maneuver, let alone a game.  Please try to clear at least 20 GB in total, although 15 should be enough to at least ensure that low space isn't contributing to the Sims 4 issues.  The Downloads folder is a good place to look for extraneous files.

I'd normally suggest moving data to D, and you can do that to some extent, but D doesn't have a lot of space either.  So be careful with both drives' free storage.  You can see the values any time by opening a File Explorer window and clicking This PC in the left panel.

Message 5 of 7 (274 Views)

★ Novice

hi! upon checking on"this pc" my drive c still has 4gb on its storage. i am confused because now my sims are working when i created a new household in the same world (it works) but opening other households doesnt help. 

Message 6 of 7 (246 Views)

@a2f953e3fc78a62b  4 GB free isn't enough either, as I mentioned before.  Please try to have at least 15 and ideally 20 GB free, then we can address the issues that remain.  But there's not much point in troubleshooting while the low free space is potentially interfering.

Message 7 of 7 (234 Views)