My game keeps crashing without warning

by americovj856

Original Post

Re: My game keeps crashing without warning

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Well, as you can see from the screenshot, sfc gave me no errors.

There was an update for me to do, regarding the AMD chip, which i did, and after that, i was able to play the game about an hour or so until the game crashed, without warning and no slowdowns whatsoever while i was on the City Living expansion. So i decided to dig deeper, and went to the NVIDIA website, found my graphics card and updated it to a more recent build.

I decided to try the game again so i loaded the previous save and as soon as i did, the game crashed. Thinking that i was because of the NVIDIA update, i decided to try a different game, Arkham City, and it ran fine without crashing or any sort of slowdowns or errors.

As for the 2004 build, it indeed shows me that an update is coming soon, but for now it doesn't let me install it.

EDIT: I decided to try the game 2/3 times, i loaded the previous save and the game crashed as soon as it loaded the previous saves on the City Living expansion

Message 11 of 18 (775 Views)

[ Edited ]

@americovj856  Okay, I do think a clean uninstall of both graphics drivers is the next step.  (And the person who I asked for a second opinion thinks so too, which makes me feel better about it.)  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3183

Go back to the HP driver download page, and download the AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers from November 15; both are listed as Rev. B.  It's better to use these two, as they're made to work with each other and in your current Windows build.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-ec0000-laptop-pc-series/29322...

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

The computer will reboot, and then you'll need to repeat the process, this time selecting AMD (rather than Nviida) in the blue box above.

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the AMD driver install .exe first, and restart manually, then install the Nvidia driver.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 18 (730 Views)

★★★ Novice

In the middle of doing what you told me, i hit a roadbump.

As i was trying to install both AMD and NVIDIA REV B of 15 November, both gave me the error posted here.

Message 13 of 18 (702 Views)

@americovj856  That's a bit odd.  Although you're on build 1903 rather than 1909 (the build the drivers were made for), the two are qutie similar, and software for one almost always works for the other.  But there may be something built into the HP software that blocks it anyway.

At any rate, try the drivers from September 12 (rev. A).  They're not so old that they shouldn't work at all, although the ones from November would be better.

Message 14 of 18 (694 Views)

★★★ Novice

I guess an update is in order, and since it's been 3 days since the last one, i feel more confortable talking about it.

Ever since i unninstalled the drivers, the PC installed the original ones i had before i updated them, and since then, there's been 1 or 2 crashes after about maybe, 5/ 6 hours worth of gameplay on City Living, with mods galore thrown into it. 

Probably the drivers weren't installed properly or something of the sort, which is weird since other games worked, but i guess Sims is more sensitive.

Message 15 of 18 (637 Views)

@americovj856  City Living has plenty of issues, so a crash after playing for a few hours is probably not such a bad outcome.  Still, if you'd like to double-check that the crashes are innocuous, or troubleshoot further in general, please let me know.

Message 16 of 18 (605 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Well... after some troubleshooting and countless uninstall/installing different drives, i don't know what else to do. Since it started crashing again, i decided to do the same thing, but this time i downloaded the drives you recomended the 2nd time. After a day or so, the game started crashing, again, without any explanation.

Forgot to add that this time, it's not on City Living this time, it's in Sulani... I guess EA doesn't want me to buy expansion packs

Message 17 of 18 (564 Views)

[ Edited ]

@americovj856  Please uninstall all the VC++ runtimes on your system.  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, click on each one, and Uninstall.  Then restart your computer, and download and install the All in One Runtimes package from this page:

https://www.sereby.org/site/downloads/All%20in%20One%20Runtimes

(The download is free; you don't have to donate anything.)  This is a guide, so you know what you're getting, but the download linked at the bottom won't work in Windows 10.

https://www.sereby.org/site/All%20in%20One%20Runtimes&lang=en

Restart again, and test the game.  If it doesn't work, please try playing in a clean boot.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

In the clean boot, don't open anything aside from Origin and Sims 4, and disable your antivirus/firewall before you play.  It's also a good idea to go through the Task Manager and shut down any apps that are still running, because a few of them are somehow not disabled in a clean boot.

If that doesn't help either, the next step would be hardware monitoring.  Download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, and don't open any other apps.  Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4 and play until it crashes.  You can click the same button to end logging.  Upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.

Message 18 of 18 (531 Views)