by zummbutter

Original Post

My Game Keeps Freezing and Failing to Respond

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Snowy Escape, Eco Lifestyle, Discover University, Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Moschino, Laundry Day, Toddler, Fitness, Bowling Night, Vintage Glamour, Backyard, Kids Room, Romantic Garden, Movie Hangout, Spooky, Cool Kitchen, Perfect Patio, Holiday Celebration, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar, Bust The Dust, Country Kitchen
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know. The only way I've come across this was just by playing in general. My game just breaks and stops responding seemingly whenever it wants. It happens in build/buy and live play mode from a time span of an hour of playing to less than twenty minutes. It even occurs across save files. I started a new save and my game crashed in build/buy.
What happens when the bug occurs? My game freezes and stops responding and I have to shut it down through the error response that shows up every time it starts to freeze up. Right before this happens, when clicking on something it takes more than a minute to respond.
What do you expect to see? I click on something and it doesn't load and the game stops responding.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. This happened after I bought and downloaded the kits.

I don't have any images or videos but this exact thing has happened five+ times no matter what I do (Repair, delete mods(i have none)) I just haven't deleted the game yet. That's the last thing on the list of my own solutions.

Edit 3/18- so far nothing has changed so I ran dxdiag and added the file here.

Message 1 of 6 (313 Views)

Re: My Game Keeps Freezing and Failing to Respond

★★ Novice
@zummbutter I've not seen mine crash, but it lags quite a bit after the kits were downloaded. I usually just restart my game to return to normal play, but it's annoying to have to restart the game so often.
Message 2 of 6 (296 Views)

[ Edited ]

@zummbutter  Do you get an error message, and if so, what does it say?  A screenshot would be helpful, especially if there's an error code included.

Please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether the game still crashes when you're playing a new save.  Let me know either way.

If you do get another crash, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

@Keilene  Most of the above applies to you as well, although I'd like to hear whether the game lags in a new save in a clean folder.  If so, I'd like to see a dxdiag.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 6 (271 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict No, there wasn't an error message at all, it just crashed. I will try what you said here though, thank you.
Message 4 of 6 (251 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict It didn't help so I added the dxdiag file to the post.
Message 5 of 6 (240 Views)

@zummbutter  Could you clarify what you mean here?

My game freezes and stops responding and I have to shut it down through the error response that shows up every time it starts to freeze up.

The "error response" is what I'm wondering about.  And do you ever notice your laptop getting hot while you play?

Please also run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 6 (234 Views)