Re: Can't get my documents folder to move to my external drive

by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

Can't get my documents folder to move to my external drive

★★★ Novice
Hi! I'm new to this but I hope someone can help me I recently got a computer and it didn't have enough space to download the sims 4 so I have to download it on my external drive however when I go to move my documents folder of course I made the new folder in the external drive and the properties and move it says invalid move and that I can't move it their so I need to know how I can do all of this because it won't let me move my documents folder....please help
Message 1 of 8 (1,472 Views)

★★★ Novice
These pictures might help
Message 2 of 8 (1,464 Views)

You can't move those files to an external disk, it needs to be at the location it is at. 

You can only move the game, but the game looks for the files in the location it is now.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 3 of 8 (1,448 Views)

★★★ Novice
So how do I get it to work like downloading cc and stuff like that (it's for sims 4)
Message 4 of 8 (1,437 Views)

★★★ Novice
I ask this because didn't it have to be in the electronic arts file
Message 5 of 8 (1,433 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @kobiebuschmann,

User files need to be in Documents \ Electronic Arts for the game to be able to find them. I don't advise you to move them anywhere else. If you want to install mods, then place them inside Documents \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 4 \ Mods folder.

The game is not installed in that folder, that folder only contains your user files. The game is installed in C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4 by default. If you want to install the game in an external drive, you can do so changing Origin application's settings: Origin > Application settings > Installs & saves. There you would need to modify the game library location.

Let us know if you have any questions Standard smile

-Mai

Message 6 of 8 (1,415 Views)

★★★ Novice
Ok so one last question if I download it to my external drive how do I do that like is their a file I have to make or something because what I'm getting is that i can have the mods and stuff In the c drive and I can have my game in the d drive which is my external drive (what folder do I need to click like I know I click the external drive but is their a specific location?)
Message 7 of 8 (1,405 Views)

I suggest changing the location in the Origin settings and reinstalling your game. As that is the most safe way to go. Also make sure you have the documents folder backed up, so if something goes wrong with that during the install you can still put it back afterwards.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 8 of 8 (1,391 Views)