Re: The Sims Medieval launch error. Installation verification failure

by CleWe

Original Post

★ Apprentice

This is still an issue as of today.

I verified my disk copies of TSM (standard) and the P&N EP (also disk) via the sims 3 store, as the EA app required.

However, I am getting the same notification "installation is not verified".

Here's the thing: despite the EA app having both of these in my library as _owned,_ and allowing them to download and install, and the game running the opening videos, the EA app also has the "purchase this game" option for this game. Other games that I have bought via Origin (pre-EA app), such as ME: Andromeda and DA:Inquisition (along with the beta tester versions of same), along with all of the freebie games I've received over the years, do not have the option to buy them (again). This suggests to me that the app is not properly recognising TSM as "currently owned".

[I have noticed that after the app trawled my registry and found the disk copy of DAO I had installed, plus my Steam copy of TS3 (do not like that trojan-like behaviour, (as an aside, EA: stay out of my registry, please!), that the app has not recognised my bought world of Monte Vista of TS3, despite that being registered on the my sims 3 store page as owned (in the "things bought" account and on "my account" along with the icon being lit up). This appears to be an ongoing issue with many games transferred from origin to the EA app, if this forum is anything to go by].

I have tried to be as concise and thorough as possible in regards to the app's bug, the reproduction of same, and what I finally had to do to make it work (a solution not available to those who have forked out money for the digital download alone, of course) in the hopes some bright cookie can go "ah, there's the problem" and fix it for those above me in this thread for whom using the disk version is not a possible solution.

EA ID: Bethgael

Error reporter #: 1b181455-4af8-4172-8c65-03f55f7e4827

Copies owned: Disk versions of TSM (standard) and P&N EP, bought circa 2011-12. [photo attached]

Ran perfectly well on my Win 7 machine back in the day. [Look, I know this is a 12yo game, but you're still selling it, so it should work, right?]

First attempt: Downloaded and launched using EA app, TSM alone after registering the disk at the sims 3 store: verification error [as seen in "TSM.jpg"]

Second attempt: registered P&N, downloaded via EA app, launched using app: verification error

Third attempt: Repaired all files, launched using EA app: verification error

Fourth attempt: completely uninstalled all game files [NOTE: The "uninstaller" was using the orange Origin logo--I don't know if this matters but it's worth mentioning], reinstalled via EA app digital download, launched using EA app: verification error
Fifth attempt: Launched using direct .exe link on desktop: hung on opening (for the first time) as it tried to find the EA app: verification error
Sixth attempt: attempted launch using the TSM launcher.exe: error message: "Unable to start. Please reinstall the base game" (as seen in TSMerror.jpg)
Seventh attempt: Completely uninstalled EA app version of game. Pulled out my hitherto unused external CD-ROM drive purchased with this gaming lappy some 2 years ago and installed TSM base game using the disk. Experienced weird nostalgia as the "InstallShield Wizard" started and installed the game at my direction. Opened using the desktop icon to the launcher and allowed the TSM launcher to update the base game to version 2.0.113.00001. [NB: This was not the version on the EA app installations from before, which started with a 1. The app does not seem to apply this patch even after the P&N addon is applied.] I then installed P&N using the same process. Restarted computer. Game version is now "2.0.113.00001 Pirates & Nobles" according to the disk-version launcher It then worked launching via the EA app, as it should have all along. 

[tl;dr] This indicates, I believe, that the issue is with missing files from the EA side of things in regards to the app, or a disparity in regard to whether the EA app considers the game "properly owned" even after the user has downloaded the game via the app. 

I recognise that employees of EA don't seem to spend time in "help" (thank you volunteers!) but I hope this extra info helps someone. Check to see if the EA app says you still need to "buy the game" despite it being present in your library. Might narrow down the issue.

Message 41 of 48 (993 Views)

Champion

@Bethgael , thank you very much for your concise summary of what you have done. I will pass this information along to see if something can be done to fix TSM as I am like you I think there are missing files and people have done all kinds of odd things to get the game to play.

Props to you!!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 42 of 48 (988 Views)

Community Manager

Hey there @Bethgael 

Are you still seeing this error message and seeing an option to purchase the game in the app?

solaire.png

Message 43 of 48 (982 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_SolaireI am no longer getting the verification error after installing the game via my disks, and I can now use the EA app to launch the game after this [see seventh attempt Standard smile ]. In fact, yesterday I added 15 hours to my play time. Standard smile I think my game crashed once? But other than that it ran smooth as butter.[ NB for anyone else who reads this: I did have to edit my graphicsDB.sgr in the game/bin folder to have the game recognise the RAM to the 4GB limit for the 32-bit engine on 64-bit machines, just like you do for TS3. Easy google search to find out how (not sure what the rules are here for linking the how-tos here Standard smile ). This is not, however, relevant to to original error].

Having said that, I do still have the "purchase the game option" in the app as of this morning. I'll take a screenie and add it to this post in a sec.  Standard smile

ETA images. I also popped up an image showing P&N is installed, just in case it's needed. Also, apologies for the weirdo images. Paint resizing.

Edited again to add: I checked just in case it's relevant, even the MEcubed Legendary Edition, purchased via Steam and installed via Steam, doesn't have that "purchase" option available.

Message 44 of 48 (2,812 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Tremayne4260 Thank you. I hope it helps somewhere. Standard smile
Message 45 of 48 (946 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Solaire This is still a problem with this game. I just tried to play the game through steam, (I had purchased it on steam before it was taken down). It won't launch at all on steam, so I tried to get the CD key through the EA App. Had to go to the sims website like it says and validate the key there, which I did. It then let me download and install the game, but this verification error comes up every time.

I don't have a CD to "fix" this problem....
Message 46 of 48 (437 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Same problem here.
Redeemed my CD-Key on Sims3 website.
Sims Medieval (Standard Edition) shows up in EA APP.

Downloaded game, shows "installation verification failure" on main menu and quits.

I can still purchase Sims Medieval in the EA App, though!

The only available purchase option is Deluxe Version.

What does the installation verification verify? If I own a license to the game? Does it compare my Standard Edition against the Deluxe Edition?

Do I have to purchase the deluxe edition and refund it?

Message 47 of 48 (224 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The Installation Verification the game does is broken.

It does not verify the standard edition.
I purchased the Deluxe Edition, installed it, and refunded it.
My account is back to the standard edition and it works.

Message 48 of 48 (203 Views)