Re: Rating in Fleet Battles (Ranked)

by Metric-SINISTER

Original Post

Rating in Fleet Battles (Ranked)

★ Apprentice

So, I did my reset yesterday. Got my placements again and it finally gave me the rank i deserve, (8/2) Hero 1.

I was so happy, I haven't lost a single match since I got my placements and I made it to hero 2. My rating was somewhere around 2120-2130.

I lost my first match today when i Q'd solo, I performed exceptionally well besides my teamates who all went severely negative in K/D.

I'm talking like 0-16, 2-14, 5-13 type of deal. I went 29-13 with 49,000 capital ship damage.

To sum this up, I lost around 80-100 rating points over a single loss today, when I only gained about 20-30 from 3 wins today. That is a MASSIVE gap. Probably the most severe punishing rating gap I have seen on this game thus far. For something completely out of my control unless I wait for my friends to log in and play with them. 

Not only did I have a positive win ratio 3-1. But I also performed extremely well in the wins, and the loss.

So, why did I go negative in earned rating points today?

Losing does deserve a loss of a little bit of rating, but it shouldn't erase 8-10 games worth of winning progress around people similar or close to your rating.

Message 1 of 10 (1,030 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Personally, I don't like the ranking system. I have always been more of a dogfighter than a ship destroyer. But the ranking system only rewards rounds won, regardless of how well you do. So it motivates suicide bombing as opposed to dogfighting....and we know which side is better at kamikaze....the side with Tie Tankers (they literally are). I just finished a round similar to yours, where my score was 33-12 or something, but lost due to feeder teammates, and lost rank points.

Every online competition game has a ranked Deathmatch mode, except this one. 

Message 2 of 10 (985 Views)

★ Apprentice

It's a shame, I'd like to see some ranked dogfighting or something. I feel like that is more of an achievement. I have to try super super hard as new republic to get a win, because I face a squadrons of 3 or 4 tie bombers from start to finish of the match.

Message 3 of 10 (963 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm experiencing the same issues.

I went 10-0 in my placements and got Hotshot 3.

Currently, looks like I have to maintain a ~90% winrate just to climb out of Hotshot 3 based upon the way points are being distributed. Losses typically are deducting 60-150 points, while wins grant around 5-20. Seems pretty broken. Keep grinding away I guess but under this system, even with a 90% win rate, it will take me around 1,000 games to climb to top rank.

System can't seem to figure out how to match people as well, as most of the players in the matches I get are of wildly disparate skill levels.

There appears to be little to no change with the ranking changes when you have a teammate abandon the match either. Lost one match 3v5 and took a 100 point hit. Won a 4v5 and gained 8 points. I mean, REALLY. This is just nonsense.

Message 4 of 10 (944 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I am a concerned player who is having a really bad time in ranked. I continuoisly wind up with level 1 players going 0 and 30 with like 5 capital ship damage... People who are placing should be matched with people who are placing. Is that possible at all? But this is just one thing bothering me. 

The main issue is lack of acknowledgement of personal performance. I keep getting matched with potatoes who literally do nothing. If you are the MVP of your team your rank should suffer less for it. I constantly get 20+ kills, 50k+ capital ship damage and lose over 10% of rank when 3 guys on my team sit back and fire turrets at open space....

Not everyone has friends playing this game, and many people have social anxiety when it comes to getting together with complete strangers. Can we make this ranked system more friendly for the solo que crew?

Message 5 of 10 (920 Views)

★ Apprentice

Checking in on this issue again today. I kept careful track of my rating gains/losses.

Win - 5v5 - +12
Win - 5v5 - +13
Win - 5v5 - +12
Win - 5v5 - +10
Win - 5v5 - +12
Win - 5v5 - +12
Win - 5v5 - +15
Loss - 4v5 due to abandon -  -72

And, even on that loss, it was NEARLY a win. Got their SD down to <15%. Performed ok, given the uneven matchup, going 29-13 with a score of 4455. (See screenshot)

Screenshot 2020-11-08 033821.png

On the wins, I typically dominated the boards. Example below.

Screenshot 2020-11-08 034301.png

Win rate 87.5%
Point change: +14

At today's rate, assuming I continue to win at a rate of 87.5%, it will take about 1,500 games before I can reach rank cap.

ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED.

This ranking system is a JOKE.

Message 6 of 10 (895 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

One quick note on this as well: Assuming a game takes about 20 minutes, this is about 500 hours of play. As there are just 23 days left in the operation, this means you'd have to play 24/7 for 21 of those days, winning 87.5% of the time, to reach cap.

How does that make sense?

Message 7 of 10 (846 Views)

★ Apprentice
@TrichorTTV Exactly my point. I am not sure if I was just supposed to be content on 1200 in gam currency and be stuck in Hero rating because a single loss resets my progress and just forget about it. Or something else. I am not sure what I am supposed to do in this situation.
Message 8 of 10 (792 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@rebornxmystic5in theory, placements should be matched up with placements. But don't forget, due to the rank reset option, many Ace pilots whose rank were stuck at 0 were reset to being placement. The actual greenhorn placements will be demolished by the rank resetters.

And also, I have the same social anxiety when adding strangers as friends online. I am okay around people in real life, but gaming is my reclusive escape from people. 2 people have added me as friend from this game and I didn't accept. I don't want to get through the ice breaking session of having to get to know strangers online.

Message 9 of 10 (777 Views)

★ Pro
@TrichorTTV I went 5-5 and got Hotshot 2. I placed first overall in a couple of the wins, but got spanked hard in most of the loses. I have to scratch my head that you did so much better than me in your matches but our ranks are so close.
Message 10 of 10 (759 Views)