Re: ALL-STAR Upgrades Complete Guide.

by malfinman

Original Post

ALL-STAR Upgrades Complete Guide.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

ALL-STAR UPGRADES GUIDE all_star.png

*please comment if you see any mistake(s), if you have anything to add and also share what upgrades/combos you think are best for an ALL-STAR

*if you like this little guide (positive feedback) I will be making it for all-classes one at a time (so it will be series of 20+1+?) at a rate of 2-4/monthly

*please understand that upgrade comments/suggestions (green color) are based on personal feelings and playstyle, which is different from player to player, so they are merely a suggestions and should be taken as such ; most data/stats (red color) are used from Pvz Wiki, In-Game Testing and Game-Updates Files

BEST UPGRADES: (will be edited upon feedback and voting)

VOTE FOR BEST UPGRADES HERE : https://strawpoll.com/rbfda3bh

Spin Class (6 votes), Health Regeneration Delay (6 votes), Health Regeneration (5 votes), Shoot the Gap (3 votes), Supercharged Football Coolant (3 votes), Applying Pressure (3 votes), Huge Fuse (3 votes), Follow Through (2 votes), Tennis Skills (2 votes)

CHARACTER UPGRADES:

Refreshing Revive {1}: Faster refresh time for all abilities by reviving an ally.

*reduces ability cooldown by 30% after reviving*

–Not very useful upgrade for an all-star, unless you are addicted to reviving, it’s good mostly to fill up your last point. It is actually helpful in competitive modes like battle arena.

Rough Patch {1}: Spawn with more health after suffering multiple vanquishes in a row.

*after dying 3 times in a row you will spawn with the maximum possible overhealth*

–Not very useful upgrade, unless you are very new player who dies a lot, it can be used in some modes like team vanqish, absolutely useless in other certain modes. If you need a filler go with refreshing revive above.

Spin Class {2}: Football Cannon spins up faster. – VERY USEFUL

*67% faster *

–This is very powerul upgrade and it costs only 2 points, your cannon spins up almost instantly, useful in all modes, for just 2 points it’s a must : )..

Best Defense {2}: Briefly reduce incoming damage by earning a critical vanquish. Can stack 3 times.

*reduces damage by 15% for 5 seconds after vanqish, stacks up for a total of 30%*

–Adds some resistence but there are definitely better upgrades for 2 points.

Long Bomb {2}: Imp Punt flies further. – USEFUL

*imp flies 22.5% further*

–This upgrade depends on what you prefer and your playstyle, but it’s quite useful upgrade overall. Personally, I would like to see this buffed to at least 30%+.

Follow Through {2}: Enemies are knocked away farther when dealing damage with Sprint Tackle. – USEFUL

*knocks away enemies (upward,backward) by 9m (29.53ft)*

–This one can be powerful and it’s actually very interresting upgrade, it feels bit like gravity grenade. By tackling someone, they will begin to slowly fly high UP through the air (and backwards), and it leaves them quite vulnerable. So you can tackle an enemy and finish them off by shooting them while they are disoriented in the air. This is especially helpful against close range characters like Citron, Chomper and SnapDragon. You can also use this similar to gravity grenade to tackle enemy into the water, out of the cliff etc. Look in the video how far away it knocks the enemy.

Shoot The Gap {2}: Travel further when using Sprint Tackle – USEFUL

*how much further?? (It feels like 30-50%)*

–May be very useful for obvious reasons, but because you travel further it can place you in bad position (for example if you try to tackle someone up close and you miss, you may end up out-positioned deep in the enemy lines or in the water (eg. Arena). Despite the downsises, it's still very good upgrade for the 2-point cost and the increased distance is significant.

Health Regeneration  {2}: Faster health regeneration. – USEFUL

*2x faster health regen*

–This is especially helpful in certain modes like battle arena or team vanqish, you will be at max health 2x faster which is significant. Works well with combo below.

Health Regeneration Delay  {2}: Reduced time between taking damage and when health reg. activates – VERY USEFUL

*time is reduced by 50%*

–Good combo with health regeneration above, also very helpful in modes like battle arena, team vanqish.., the time is 2x faster when your health regen starts and if used with combo above you are quickly at full hp. You can take cover inside you shield (which has 200hp on its own) and regenerate your health very quickly. If you pick only one of these upgrades, I prefer health regen. delay upgrade.

Leveling UP  {2}: Earn XP faster.

*10% more XP*

–This is useful when you are trying to level up fast, and in certain modes like OPS, GIDDY, PVE where you don’t need powerful upgrades (I used leveling up in OPS and PVE on most characters till level 1000 or so).

Critical Blow  {3}: Faster refresh time for all abilities by earning a critical vanquish.

*if you do critical vanqish, abilites cooldown are reduced by 3 seconds*

–Not worth for the 3 points cost. But in OPS/PVE it refreshes your abilites very fast.

Tennis Skills  {3}: Move faster when aiming or firing.

*25% faster movement when aiming/firing*

–I feel little diference, but quite a lot people use this for some reason, I can see this helping with strafing a bit, but this should be buffed to at least 35%+.

Star Struck  {3}: Deployed Tackle Dummy knocks enemies away.

*deploying the shield knock enemies upward 5m (16.4ft) and 7m backward (22.97ft)*

–Depending on your play-style, this might be useful in certain situations and modes like defending in turf or garden/graveyard in ops. Unfortunatelly, the knockback is much weaker than follow through upgrade, so it's mostly to knock enemies outside your shield or when defending the specific objective. I would like to see some buff in knockback similar to follow through, it would ne nice upgrade then.

Fallback  {3}: Move faster when at low health.

*if your HP is 40 or below your movement speed is increased by 20%*

–20% is not very significant, it should be to get you out of fight at below 20% hp so this should be like 30-50% boost, not worth the 3 points in my opinion.

Speedy {3}: Move faster, except when sprinting.

*increase walking speed by 12.9%*

–Small speed buff, but only when walking, not very useful for the 3 points, adrenaline rush cost only 1 more and is much more useful. This is not a good upgrade for 3 points, it needs buff/complete rework.

Supercharged Football Coolant  {3}: Reduce overheat for Football Cannon by earning a vanquish.– USEFUL

*each vanqish reduces overheat of your cannon by 15%*

–This is especially useful in certain modes like OPS, every time you vanqish someone overheat bar is reduced by 15% so you can continue firing. It is also useful when engaging (and vanqishing) group of enemies in PVP and it can make a diference between you’re dead because your cannon overheated and another vanqish for you. It wouldn’t hurt to buff this upgrade a bit to 20-25%.

Applying Pressure  {3}: Near misses with Football Cannon reduce enemy vision. – USEFUL

*reduces enemy vision by 7.5%, effect decay at a rate of 50% per second*

–This is good for distracting enemies and messing up their aim a bit. It basically darkens the enemy's edges, stretching to near the centre. It's more of an annoyance but some people seems to like this upgrade. In PVP it doesn't do that much, see in the video how it looks. I've heard that if you get revived after being killed by an All-Star with this upgrade the effect is then permanent, which is interresting. And also it seems effecitve in ops/pve as stated below.

Edit : Applying Pressure stops minions in their place like they're stunned in Ops. Not as effective to heroes & useless to bosses, but useful for grinding / challenges & worth the cost (thx to Fork_x_Spoon).

Injury Time  {4}: Allies get revived faster when inside Tackle Dummy shield.

*50% faster reviving inside shield*

–This is nice, makes him more like support, but it’s not worth the 4 points, should cost like max. 2. Might be useful in arena, but it is still too expensive.

Huge Fuse  {4}: Deal additional damage when directly hitting an enemy with Imp Punt. – VERY USEFUL

*if you hit directly enemy with an imp punt, it does 50 more damage (150 damage total)*

–This is probably the most powerful upgrade for an all-star and makes a diference between a kill and no-kill. Imp punt will now explode the second it touches someone. Your opponent(s) will have zero time to react. Also, it'll do 50 extra damage to the enemy it comes into contact with. This gives you an ability that instantly does 150 damage on direct hit enemy and 100 damage to everyone close around him. You can easily take down an oak with direct hit following with your primary or tackle. You actually need this upgrade if you want imp punt to be effective.

Adrenaline Rush  {4}: Move faster for a short time by earning a vanquish. – USEFUL

*after vanqish, you get a 3 second speed buff (55% speed increase) *

–Not bad, great for getting around quickly, depending on your play-style you may find this upgrade useful. If you like speed buffs this one is for you.

*personally, I am using four setups (and yes I do really name my combos : )) :

Setup 1 'The Imp Punt Stack' (for PVP, ARENA):  Spin Class, Huge Fuse, Refreshing Revive - for those who like their imp punt to be effective at killing enemies. Downside is that it's one of the last upgrades to unlock.

Setup 2 'The Killer Tackle Stack (for PVP, ARENA): Spin Class, Follow Through, Shoot The Gap, Refreshing Revive - for those who really like sprint tackles and want it to be maximum effective, it's actually good combo for arena.

Setup 3 'The Immortal Stack' (for PVP, ARENA) : Spin Class, Health Regeneration, Health Regeneration Delay, Refreshing Revive - for modes like team vanqish and others where you prefer to heal quickly and not die often, also for people with more defensive playstale rather then aggresive one.

OPS/PVE Setup 4 'The OPS Stack': Spin Class, Supercharged Football Coolant, Health Regeneration Delay - in ops, I like to kill and shoot constantly without my cannon overheating.

Message 1 of 10 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@malfinmanGreat stuff, I was wondering why I was floating when some allstars hit me...I have him maxed and still didn't know what some of these did. I use shoot the gap and applying pressure but may switch it up.

Message 2 of 10 (1,085 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Gormey Thanks man, I am glad it could be bit helpful even for players like you who have him maxed.
Message 3 of 10 (1,001 Views)

I have always equipped "Setup 3 'The Immortal Stack' " in Turf Takeover.

Message 4 of 10 (969 Views)

Champion

@malfinman  Excellent guide! Large smile I have an idea of what most of the upgrades do but the detailed stats are really good to look at so you know whether something is worth equipping or not. Curious question, do you get your upgrade stats from the Wiki? But again, awesome guide!

Message 5 of 10 (964 Views)

★ Pro
Applying Pressure stops minions in their place like they're stunned in Ops. Not as effective to heroes & useless to bosses, but useful for grinding / challenges & worth the cost.
Message 6 of 10 (905 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Fork_x_Spoon Oh, didn't know that, awesome tip, I have edited/updated the guide, thanks for the feedback.
Message 7 of 10 (874 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@TheSprinter85 Thank you so much, this guide is mostly focused on newer players of course. Once I complete all the 'upgrade guides' I will make one final thread with links so it will be all at one place easily accessible for everyone.

About the data stats (red color) - yes most are from wiki or around the net, game-update files for up to date info and some are my own measurments tested ingame, and some I can‘t find nor mesaure correctly like the % on shoot the gap, I can only estimate there.
Message 8 of 10 (824 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@malfinman  Not a problem Large smile, the ‘link thread’ sounds like something I should do with my PvE guides after I have completed all of them as well. I like other people like you making guides as well, and your guide was awesome. I really liked watching the videos regarding the ‘testing of upgrades’. 

I was just wondering about the Wiki because I’ve used the Wiki before in many of my guides that I have made. And some of the information you added to the upgrades looked familiar. It really looks like you have put in lots of effort into your guide as well - well done! Thumbs up

EDIT: I use the ‘Injury Time’ upgrade quite a bit. I realise it costs quite a lot of points, but I’m a ‘revive addict’ and its awesome to simply place down your Dummy Shield and get an easy revive, but I must admit it costs more upgrade points than it should. I mostly use it in BA however.

Message 9 of 10 (794 Views)

★ Guide

These guides are very useful I hope you can do the othrr classes too. Standard smile

Message 10 of 10 (757 Views)