Re: Mass Effect 1 boring?

by EA_Shepard

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 Discussion

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I have recently finished all the Dragon Age series. Then, I started to Mass Effect series from the first game. Most people says ME series is better than DA. But after 7 hours, I kind of found the game boring. I think some Bioware games starts being enjoyable after some hours but don't really know whether i should keep playing the game. Had anyone feel the same? Does it gets better after a while?

(cm edit - updated title)

Message 1 of 8 (2,585 Views)

★★★ Guide

Mass Effect is my all-time favorite series, so that's pretty much fighting words pardner Wink

Short answer is: YES.

But real answer is: it depends on what you like.  Since you like DA, I would think it would jibe.

How far into the game are you (i.e. what planets have you visited, main quests done, characters in your squad)?  Yes, it is a little slow when you are doing all the running around the Citadel on the initial set of sidequests.  And if you spend all your time doing the open-world things (scanned planets and driving around in the Mako).  But the main story is terrific.

And a big part of the ME draw is the development of the relationships with your companions over the 3-games.  I say it is well worth continuing.  But only you can decide.

FYI, IMO ME1 has the best story, but also the most antiquated game mechanics (and inventory control).

Message 2 of 8 (2,560 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I just left Citadel as becoming a Spectre and getting 3 of my new companions. Standard smile 

Message 3 of 8 (2,550 Views)

★★★ Guide

Ok, you are just getting going.  Though, TBH, becoming a Spectre, though early, to me is one of the series highlights.

From there, things pick up the pace ... especially if you want it to (i.e. do you concentrate on the main quest, or like to smell the flowers?). As a completionist, I do everything, including dropping down to all available worlds.  But even if you don't, I would advise you to follow-up on all the side-quests anyway (some ping when you scan the planet?).  Especially anything with a contact on the Citadel.  Most of these little nuggets are revisited through all three games.  Though sometimes trivial, they nevertheless provide continuity, a warm feeling/knowing smile, and a few chuckles along the way.

And, yes, the story itself does gain momentum.  Don't drop the game Standard smile

Message 4 of 8 (2,528 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you! I trust your advise and I will keep playing. Nothing to lose Thumbs up 

Message 5 of 8 (2,528 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey did you finish the game. I feel the same. Just became Spectre and I tried running around different planets. Ugly landscape, vehicle is clunky and all enemies oneshot me. At this point I'm just gonna finish the game for ME2,3

Message 6 of 8 (1,006 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Planets: hmmm, eye of the beholder.  I think pretty, but certainly can be considered sparse and grindy

Clunky Mako: guilty as charged!

One-shotted: Lower the difficulty!  Large smile

I'm guessing you have the Legendary Edition and have set it at Insanity?  (LOL)

Message 7 of 8 (1,001 Views)

Community Manager

Once you get into the game, it does become less "boring". Especially if you are into character development and storyline. This series is one of my top favorites because of the story-driven characters and relationships.

There are some things like scanning planets and having to grind around yes, but that can all be done when you have free time. You end up with so many resources the rest of the scanning really when you want the achievements, or you want to import that save into the next game.

Once you finish part one, and you get into two, you spend a lot of time on this one. There is so much going on, and the DLC stories, you get lost in how many hours you play. 

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 8 of 8 (985 Views)