by SimpsBucket

Original Post

Re: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer Will Start and Then Crash Out

★★★ Newbie
@NotEden I tried this, but it just keeps crashing
Message 11 of 25 (3,980 Views)

★ Novice

I completely agree, I should be able to click play and the game starts right up from the Origin launcher. I paid for the game from Origin due to the sale and it continually crashes, I went to my account support page to report a bug and the game isn't even listed. I have no way to requesting a refund other than opening a Paypal dispute for EA selling me non working goods. My best friend told me I should known better as it is EA, if I knew it wouldn't work in advance I would have just bought it off Steam.

Message 12 of 25 (3,853 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko why release the game if it doesnt work... taking peoples money then saying fix it yourself
Message 13 of 25 (3,819 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @IsearsyI I understand your frustration but EA did not release the game. I tested it myself and am able to get it working so it's most likely a system issue that you are seeing.

Try running the game in compatibility mode to see if it helps and it's no harm speaking with the publisher to see what they can recommend.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 14 of 25 (3,788 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@EA_Darko 

For a community manager that is a really poor response.  I came looking for a fix for this game too due to it also just crashing on start.  I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it since I'm an access member but dude they are selling a game on their storefront and on access for no less so they are pretty much promoting it.  To have it not work on launch on modern systems is ridiculous.

This is why people like GoG they actually work on making old games compatible with current hardware.  All people are saying is that EA should not add a game to their storefront and promote it then not have it running with some kind of comparability framework that will  ensure it works on most modern systems.  This isn't Steam where some games have been on it for over 10 years.  This is a recent addition.

Also the min requirements on the store page says Windows 7 or higher!  Like they are telling people they need a more recent computer in order to run it but it doesn't even work on them without the consumer fixing problems themselves.  its completely absurd!

it doesn't help that we know its being ported to the switch so we already know people are working on.  There is a team somewhere that I can only assume works for EA trying to port it to the Switch instead of having at least made sure the PC version worked on current systems.

Message 15 of 25 (3,726 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Icefoxemily I understand your frustration and am happy to help as best I can.

As the game was not developed or published by EA then the level of support we can offer is limited.

If you or others have a DxDiag then I am happy to take a look for any issues: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I tested the game there and it's running for me so if it is not running for you or crashing then it's most likely going to take a little troubleshooting but for any issues that cannot be fixed by troubleshooting or for advanced assistance then you would need to speak with the developer/publisher.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 16 of 25 (3,702 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue.

First time I started it the game loaded fine, went through 2 or 3 videos and made it to main menu. The sound was really loud so I tried tabbing to my desktop but game would not allow it. I quit the game using the game menu, adjusted volume and now game will not start. Tried the compatibility mode settings above as well as deleting and reinstalling the game.

Getting exact same partial blue bar and crash as the others.

Message 17 of 25 (3,631 Views)

★★ Novice

The problem appears to be HID devices.

You need to download a .dll file to handle the incompatible devices and stop the crashing.

I found the solution here:

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_episode_i_racer/troubleshoot_steps_still_not_working_heres_the_f...

It links you to this github page:

https://github.com/riverar/IndirectInput/releases/tag/0.1

Put the dinput.dll file in the same folder as SWEP1RCR.exe and then start normally from origin launcher.

I agree if EA sells the game its on them to make it work.

Community managers need to stop apologizing for/defending companies that clearly don't lift a finger to help.

There is no excuse for accepting money for a broken game.

Message 18 of 25 (3,460 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This was the solution to me

Message 19 of 25 (3,277 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ask for a refund and then buy the remaster on steam or GOG.  It would be much worth your effort.

Message 20 of 25 (2,882 Views)