origin won't open on mac TRIED EVERYTHING

by clairelzabeth

Original Post

origin won't open on mac TRIED EVERYTHING

★★★ Newbie

Hey, so I have a mac and i just purchased the sims 4 yesterday after wanting it for a long time. ive been trying ever since then to get origin to open, and nothing will work. heres what happens: i download origin for mac, i try to open it, then the screen that tells me to drag origin into the application folder pops up. I do that, then i open the origin app and i agree to the terms and conditions, and thats as far as ive gotten. once that happens, it crashes, and i try to open it again, and it tells me to put it in the application folder over and over again. and for the record, it is in there. ive tried the origin reset, ive tried deleting caches and random files, ive tried to get customer service to no avail, and ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling at LEAST 15 times. My internet is fine, my mac is new, i dont know what else to try.

Message 1 of 3 (282 Views)

Re: origin won't open on mac TRIED EVERYTHING

[ Edited ]
Champion

@clairelzabeth, So it sounds like you can open Origin, but then it crashes? Can you start it and then immediately go into the Preferences? It sounds like you need to disable Origin In Game because it can cause Origin to crash when on the new Mojave Mac OS. If you can't get to the Preferences, try this workaround to allow you to start Origin so you can disable the Origin In Game feature and download the game.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Origin-In-Game-and-the-macOS-Mojave-Update/m-p/7053780#M14299

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 3 (257 Views)

Re: origin won't open on mac TRIED EVERYTHING

@clairelzabeth  I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but you might want to start with a clean uninstall of Origin (rather than just trashing the application).  Here's how to do so:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

Before downloading Origin again, make sure you don't still have the Origin setup in your Downloads folder.  You can check in the Finder—you'll see Downloads listed on the left side, and if you see anything with Origin in the name, trash it.  Then go to origin.com and download the mac version.  Be sure to select Save File instead of Open.

Now you'll have the Origin disk image (origin.dmg) in your Downloads folder.  Double click to open it.  You'll be prompted to move Origin to your Applications folder, but just ignore this.  Instead, open the Origin installer that will now appear on your desktop.  This will install Origin into Applications for you and then open the app.  You'll need to enter your computer's password, agree to the terms and conditions, decline Origin's request to collect your information, and sign into your account.

Once you've done all this, you should see TS4 in your Origin library and can download it from there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 3 (247 Views)