Re: Let’s sue fortnite for many reasons

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

★ Guide

@itookyourkids wrote:

@DoYaSeeMe wrote:

Why is it a problem for players if different games have similar things? 

It is stealing ideas from another game and it has a huge fee, 10,000 dollars for copyrighting 

it is against the law!

Not sure you quite know how copyright works

By default any handmade content or asset is by itself copyrighted to the person/developer of that piece.

But a recreation or similar looking piece of content, art, asset etc. is up to the individual to mark it as "Copyright protected"

In this moment I can by myself recreate a weapon in Apex, sound and feel, and be fine. However, I can not take said weapon straight from Respawn and call it my own.

And if Respawn then has put a copyright protection over said weapon, then I would be "stealing".

TLDR: No one has done anything wrong unless a piece of content is marked with ©. (There's websites for this)

And let's not get into trademarking...

Message 11 of 12 (158 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@itookyourkidsBig companies always have legal teams checking for copyright issues, as lawsuits can lead to hundreds of thousands or even millions of $ in losses. But that's not the players problem, as they only get to experience some good features in more games.

Also, many features are usually planned way ahead of release, so it's possible for some studio to have the idea first, but be the second to release it, due to planning, market research, etc..

Message 12 of 12 (142 Views)