Re: So far is ok BUT WHERE THE GHERBITS?!?!

by PugLove888

Original Post

So far is ok BUT WHERE THE GHERBITS?!?!

★★★★★ Novice

This is my intake on discover university this is probably the short on review. I like the choosing the courses so far but one thing we all noticed cant cook in dorms. I was hoping to see the Llama  at it would have a 3rd university its heartbreaking Devil  I miss the Llama but i aint  mad tho  a little, but what yall think of the expansion? let me know let's discuss!!Standard smile

Message 1 of 6 (493 Views)

Champion

@JenNGor, in most dorms in the United States you can't cook except in a microwave.  This is to prevent fires. You aren't allowed to light candles in many of them either. Some U.S, dorms will have a cafeteria in the common area, but many do not.  This is why the stereotype in the U.S. of a college student living on Ramen noodles got started. Wink (Well, that  and the fact that instant Ramen is very cheap!). Large smile (I didn't even realize that some other countries allowed kitchens in dorms until I saw a YouTube video of Plumbella telling us that she was shocked that Discover University didn't have kitchens in the dorms because her dorm in England had them!Raised eyebrowCool )  Funny how people on both sides of the Atlantic have learned how the other side's dorms are! 

But I totally agree with the missing llama!!! Devil  Llamas have been a part of the Sims since the beginning! And as a fan of TS2's University EP, I miss that cheer "... Gherbits! Gherbits! Vohhhhh Gherbits!" HeartParty hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 6 (466 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@PugLove888 oh not the ramen!!! lmao
Message 3 of 6 (444 Views)

★★★ Guide
@PugLove888 Nope. All three different colleges, universities I went to in the USA had a community kitchen in the dorms
Message 4 of 6 (411 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@troshalom, Nope! I did not say all dorms were this way in the US, but that most were. None of my relatives or my friends dorms had community kitchens in them. 4 universities total.  It varies from place to place.  And I'm not just going by my experience but what I've heard other people say about this as well since DU came out. Most people I've heard from about this who went to school in the US have agreed that this is normal for US dorms, and that people in the UK or Europe have stated that it was normal to have kitchens in their dorms. But from what I'm hearing is that most people upset by there being no kitchens in dorms are expecting is for the kitchens to actually be in the dorm rooms themselves. Raised eyebrow But perhaps that is from players who aren't old enough yet to have gone to University themselves?  Unless overseas dorms also have kitchens in the actual dorm rooms. Wondering  

Anyway, dorm setups can vary widely depending on which state they are located in and how old the dorm is.  One of my friends lived in a very old dorm that dint' have a community kitchen or even a cafeteria in the dorm, and she also had a community bathroom in her dorm just like the ones in dorms at UBrite in the game, except there were shower curtains on the showers and her dorm only had female students.  I had another friend who didn't have a community kitchen but instead had a small cafeteria in her dorm.  Her dorms bathroom situation was different too -- her and her roommate shared a bathroom with 2 suitemates on the other side of the bathroom.  One toilette, one shower, and 2 sinks for 4 people. 

And there will probably still be variations to these as well. I know that some dorms would allow hot plates in the dorm rooms, but others do not!   But the fact remains that most US dorms don't have kitchens!  Many near where I lived didn't even allow you to burn candles let alone cook! I worked retail and sold lightbulb rings with oil and dry pot pourri to college students all the time because they weren't' allowed candles.  Large smile.  They came to the store I worked at from several nearby colleges

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 6 (396 Views)

★★★ Guide
@PugLove888 I think in some universities where there are suites they might have kitchens, dunno, but typically only RA apartments had kitchens. Can you imagine all those freshmen with kitchens burning down dorms 😂😜
Message 6 of 6 (373 Views)