Re: Looking For Tips on Using Multiple Fridges

by PugLove888

Original Post

Looking For Tips on Using Multiple Fridges

★★★★ Guide

Hey Simmers! I haven’t had this as an issue in the past, so if I need to report it as a bug I will. However, in the past, Sims would be able to have access to all foods made in a household at any refrigerator if all fridges were the same. Now within the last month I’m noticing that this isn’t the case anymore. 

Is this a bug? Does anyone have any tips on how to use multiple refrigerators in an active household?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 9 (1,405 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I haven't used multiple fridges recently, but in the past I did have to micromanage them. "Claudia, you get leftover butternut gnocchi out of the downstairs fridge and Alex, you get leftover tortellini out of the upstairs fridge..." Otherwise it was "Pathing wave, hahahahahahaha!"

I've gotten to the point where that pathing wave and laugh makes me irrationally angry, btw... Ha ha, stop laughing and do what I told you to do!

Message 2 of 9 (1,378 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@MzMelonz 

The inventory of all fridges are shared. They do not need to be the same model.

That is why you will get a routing failure if if you tell two sims to get the same meal even though there are more than one serving. You see when you order something the game generate one serving so the first one get served and the other gets an error. It works best if you have more than one type of leftovers and just tell them to get leftovers The game will randomly pick one type and when the other is told to get leftovers it will choose the other leftover.

I routinely use two and sometimes three refrigerators depending of the size of the house and the family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 9 (1,364 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@xochiquetzl_xkvn This definitely tickled me lol. Thank you. It’s sort of like they have condos. So I wound up figuring something out with the door locks. Lol
Message 4 of 9 (1,363 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@jpkarlsen In my experience of testing, the inventory is not shared. If condo A made a vegetarian meal and condo B made a regular meal, condo B won’t be able to access the vegetarian meal without going to Condo A’s fridge (and vice versa). This is with different refrigerators. Now at one point and for years, I could access any food in any fridge if they were all the same model. As of late, within the past month, this no longer works. Only the sims living in their own “condos” can access their own previously prepared food items and not the entire condo’s community food items.
Message 5 of 9 (1,359 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@MzMelonz 

Just did a quick test to se if anything had changed. Grilled skewers and put them in the mini fridge and cooked two dishes that where put in the normal size fridge. All three where available from both fridges so nothing have changed in this regard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 6 of 9 (1,337 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@MzMelonz 

Interesting, are you using any mods? Previously all fridges on the same lot shared inventory.

Message 7 of 9 (1,326 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I have also found in past plus with the most recent lot I built (within the last week - which had multiple floors, a semi-attached living space with a mini-fridge, and an upstairs and downstairs refrigerator of two different types) that the ability of the household Sims and to access leftovers and ice cream did not seem to behave any differently than previously. I use this function almost exclusively to feed my large households... I prepare multiple types of meals (or ice cream/baked goods) and drag them to any of the refrigerators in the home. The refrigerator contents all sync.  If I want to direct someone to get food I choose 'Get Leftovers' on one of the refrigerators or the mini-refrigerator (as @jpkarlsen suggested). If I don't direct them to do this they do it nicely autonomously. 

@jpkarlsen ... thank you for the information/tests on the nuances of how they behave if directed in overlapping ways to access leftovers from the same platter. Interesting... and good to know!

This method seems to help my households not get fat from eating when called to a meal even if they aren't hungry and from a lot of the musical chairs meal chaos that came when I forced it with planned meal times and call to meal commands. I save the chaos of that for holidays and such. LOL! That saved me some sanity as well since I love huge households. Standard smile

I don't have Mods and CC, though, so maybe that could be a factor?

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 8 of 9 (1,317 Views)

Champion

@MzMelonz , I also have the same experience as @jpkarlsen , @xochiquetzl_xkvn , and @SheriGR  in that all my meals are accessible to all the fridges on the lot, regardless of whether they were in the same building, or on the same floor, or even if the models of the refrigerators were different.   (But like @SheriGR , I also do not use any Mods or CC, so I don't have to worry about outdated Mods/CC causing problems in my game, or having to replace them all when the Mods/CC gets updated to work with an updated game. 😅)  

Does this happen even in a different save game file? Wondering

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 9 (1,245 Views)