Re: Cannot run in full screen mode!

by ShawnMarrster

Original Post

★★ Novice

Hi, I can only run in windowed-fullscreen but not fullscreen,too!!

My laptop: Asus G750JS-T4023H (Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 2,4GHz, 8GB RAM, 1,5TB HDD + 256GBSSD, NVIDIA GF GTX 870M, DVD, Win 8.1)

Here my DXDIAG:http://hastebin.com/amocozigil.tex

Greets

Aurelius

Message 171 of 453 (2,565 Views)

★ Apprentice

I just purchased Wolfenstein The New Order and it is behaving exactly the same way on my Lenovo Y50, it only runs full screen when Full Screen Windowed mode is selected, which results in decreased performance.

Do these games share the same engine?

Message 172 of 453 (2,409 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem. Nvidia 880m.

And this is one of the problems of PC gaming. People dont understand that Nvidia/AMD optimize drivers for each game released. Everything is more or less a hack on PC. This is why gaming on PC is "better" than Mac, since there are not optimized "hacked" drivers for each single game. 

This is why Console gaming is over achiving. XboxOne/PS4 are extremly low end PCs. Still they perform like a 700-1000 dollar PC. Why? Because the hardware is constant = developers can optimize for that hardware. On PC its always have been brute force. On Console/Mac it have been about elegance. 

This is a Nvidia problem, not EA. But its EA job to scream at Nvidia to have working drivers on new hardware, or EA should offer refunds since the game dont work on Nvidia 8XX cards. 

Message 173 of 453 (2,225 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here.
My Acer Laptop is V3-772G
Intel i5-4210M 2,6GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M
12GB DDR3 L RAM

Message 174 of 453 (2,078 Views)

★ Novice

I think I've traced down the issue (for me):

It seems to be triggered by font scaling in Windows 7 - at least in my case. I have a 4k monitor lately and I activated font scaling as the font was a tiny bit small Standard smile DA:I stopped working about that time. I've just tested and removing font scaling fixes it. Turning it back on triggers the bug.

So, try disabling the high DPI scaling from the app shortcut's compatibility settings. If for some reason you can't - you can do that from the registry - run regedit and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Create a new String key and as a name set the path to the Dragon Age executable - you can easily get that from the shortcut properties, just remove the quotes if any. Then, as a value of this key set:
HIGHDPIAWARE

This should get you running.

Now a message to Dragon Age: Inquisition devs - please create this registry key during installation Standard smile

Hope this helps.

Message 175 of 453 (1,815 Views)

★★ Apprentice

There are several workarounds like this, including teamviewer fix, this thing, laucnging with different compability modes, etc. Unfortunately this works for 5% of people, other 95% physically cant play due to the loss of fps without fullscreen

Message 176 of 453 (1,786 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for posting this. Boo, unfortunately I must have made this change already since it's in my registry and I still have the issue.

Grrr, this really is a pain in the arse.

Message 177 of 453 (1,747 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same issue with laptop asus with gtx 870M

but i found a solution, by trying some tricks lol.
in the game option put full screen, enlarge your windows by clicking the square in the top right corner (if you are stucked with the game mouse cursor, try to press the windows keyb key), now put the screen mod on full screen windowed in the game options.

I have now the game in fullscreen lo, but dont ask me why lool

Tell me if it worked for you guys.

Message 178 of 453 (1,632 Views)

★★ Apprentice

windowed full screen is not same as actual fullscreen, you get the "fullscreen", but you still can control vsync options(no matter what you choose, it will actually be bound to ur windows options) and you lose like 10-15 fps for not being actual fullscreen. The main problem of ours is the performance we lose.

Message 179 of 453 (1,629 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Oh ok yes it is not the real fullscreen mode it is "full screen" but yes i have an fps loss too.
it is better than nothing until someone found the solution or a fix.

Message 180 of 453 (1,602 Views)