Re: Forcing Vsync in Nvidia Panel for proper Gsync fixes issues but locks FPS to

by The_Tibber

Original Post

Forcing Vsync in Nvidia Panel for proper Gsync fixes issues but locks FPS to 60

★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 1070
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32 GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? JTDawgzone1122
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Entire game
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Playing normally
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The game is locked at 60 FPS NOTE: This solves all my menu stuttering/graphical gltiches/occasional crashing but locks my game to the wrong FPS so these feel connected.
What should be happening instead? The game should be running at 141 FPS
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use 144Hz Gsync monitor Turn off VSync in game. Force VSync in Nvidia Control Panel (Triple buffering off in Control Panel) Turn on Gysync in Nvidia Control Panel Result should be 144 FPS in-game but game is capped at 60 FPS like it's defaulting to VSync for a console. Other PC games correctly run at 144FPS to match monitor's refresh rate. Note: The steps I described above are how best to run Gsync on a computer with the addition of downloading an FPS limiter to lock games at 141FPS to give G-sync the necessary 3 frames to buffer and avoid all tearing.

I'm marking this as major impact because as a fellow developer there's definitely something going on with Vsync/Gsync in the game and it's 100% reproducible.

I'm also marking it as major because while I'm now limited to 60 FPS when I should be capped at 141FPS, all of my graphical glitches, menu stuttering, and occasional crashes stopped completely. 

For reference I am using a Dell S2716DG and am on Nvidia Driver 418.91 with a GTX 1070

NOTE: I also manually set my Texture Streaming (VRAM) to my card's at 8 GB because the game gave me a red warning that I was over that with the settings it loaded with for some reason.

Settings:
AA- TSAA

Texture Streaming- Insane(8GB)

Ambient Occlusion Quality- Low
Sun Shadow Coverage- Low
Sun Shadow Detail - Low

Spot Shadow Detail - Low

Volumetric Lighting - Disabled <<<<< RTX cards not playing nice with this?
Dynamic Spot Shadows - Disabled
Model Detail - Medium

Effects Detail - Medium
Impact marks - Low
Ragdolls - Medium

Message 1 of 2 (1,312 Views)

Re: Forcing Vsync in Nvidia Panel for proper Gsync fixes issues but locks FPS to

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hai,

try disabling all v-sync settings, check G-sync is enabled for windowed and fullscreen mode and make sure your monitor resolution and Hz are correct here:

Open Origin and righ click Apex.

> Properties

> Advanced launch options

Type: -refresh 144

Save and run the game to test

Edit: a reminder that FPS counters can be inaccurate if its not origin FPS counter

Message 2 of 2 (1,288 Views)