Directx game crash after launching it on full screen mode

by ObscureLight333

Original Post

Directx game crash after launching it on full screen mode

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: Battlefield 1
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug (see image attached) Basically I get a message indicating that DirectX crashed when trying to launch the game in FULL SCREEN MODE. something about Device Removed. Game worked fine a couple of weeks ago and it all happened out of the blue.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Launch the game in full screen mode. Happens almost every time. Sometimes after 2-4 tries the games decides to launch.
What happens when the bug occurs? Message pops indicating a Directx error, something about Device Removed. Game worked fine a couple of weeks ago and it all happened out of the blue.
Please select your region North America
In what game mode did the bug occur? Team Deathmatch
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Graphics Chipset Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8

Directx crash trying to launch the game in full screen mode (see picture)

Steps performed to try and solve the issue:

Clean GPU drivers installed. My entire system (even windows) is completely up to date.
Disabled full screen optimizations and run the game as administrator.
Repaired the game and erased the game cache and settings along with the origin cache folder.
Tried repairing and installing again the microsoft and origin redistributable software files.
Performed clean installation of both Origin and Battlefield 1.
Followed the default troubleshooting steps that the other EA representative gave me.
Completely unable to launch in fullscreen mode and I even closed the AMD settings running in the backround and this issue ONLY happens with this game.
Turned off game mode on Windows 10.
Windows update is completely turned off.
No other program, task or process is running in the background.
Sometimes after 2-4 tries the game decides to work and launch.
Limited frame rate and messed with the graphic options in game but it doesn't make any difference at all.

Note: After chatting with a tech support agent for over an hour he told me there was either a glitch in my system or an issue with the game and that I should post this entire information here on the bug forums.

Message 1 of 2 (1,103 Views)

Re: Directx game crash after launching it on full screen mode

EA Community Manager

Hey @ObscureLight333,

thanks for all the data you provided, that helps getting some insight in those cases.

You seem to have performed quite some tasks already to troubleshoot this issue - since I don't know all of them, I'll add a few more things for now:

- Can you try to perform a clean boot to rule out any other processes interfering with Battlefield 1?

- When reinstalling the game and Origin, you also deleted the settings folder. Did you try manually adjusting the values in the PROFSAVE_profile file?

Values like

GstRender.Dx12Enabled 0

GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1366

GstRender.ResolutionHeight 768

to reflect your native screen settings of 1366 x 768 and disabling DirectX 12

- Some values in your files suggest that creating a new Windows User Account might be worth a try - here's how you do that. Please make that an admin account as well.

Message 2 of 2 (1,060 Views)