loss of sound on mass effect andromeda

by Skauron

Original Post

Re: loss of sound on mass effect andromeda

★★★★★ Novice

Just now it happened to me, game is patched to 1.07 and as soon as I used incinerate(on krogan engineer) in wave 2 the sound was gone, completely gone, no voices, no music. It happened only once in single player back in March, but in multiplayer it seems to happen once every 7 matches or something around that.I'm on PC if it matters.

Message 71 of 203 (1,879 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I am now three days in without the audio crashing. This is the longest yet. Not saying this is a work around yet, but would like someone to try it. Before 1.5 when changing weapons with the mouse wheel the in game console would open. I know, I never hit the "~" key. Then I saw others were having this problem. This ( I guess) was fixed in 1.6. So I thought it was a key binding issue. Now on to the audio part. A number of times when the audio crashed my space-bar was frozen. So I could not open the main menu to exit to desktop. This got me thinking about key binding and what we have in common and that is Windows shortcut keys or hot keys. I don't even know if this is possible and it would not explain the occurrence on the consoles. But it's worth a try. You will need to go to Group Policy Manager to disable. Lots out there on how to do this. Let us know if it works or still crashes, may take a day or two to test.

Message 72 of 203 (1,861 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Just had it happen on an Apex mission.  Nothing in Event Viewer and my DxDiag is clean.  Its probably some odd transient glitch that locks everyones sound because a link in the chain fails.  Hasnt happened for over a week though so its random,  Friend of mine plays with the same group on PS4 and it never happens with their group but he gets it on random games.  Dont change your keybindings, MEA scans the keyboard directly for most things, except console commands, they use the Windows system.  So if you knock out the tilde key you cant tilde key back to game. 

Message 73 of 203 (1,852 Views)

★★★ Pro

I have taken the tilde key physically off my keyboard so i don't get 'death by tilde' now anyway.  There is nothing worse than death by tilde..  except for stupidly standing too close to an ascendant and getting sync killed which is nasty Wink   I have not had any reason to be in console, except for perhaps removing the UI for making video footage, but beyond that.. no reason.

I just can't find anything that indicates a source for the loss of sound issue.. but much worse can think of no ways to prevent it either.  I don't believe for a second that Bioware/EA cannot reproduce this issue as its rampantly happening, but i would be fully prepared to help with diagnostics if they need someone off their network to test things as i'm sure when they play they likely play on their internal network for testing.

Message 74 of 203 (1,845 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Too many variables.  On my games this weekend everything has mostly been fine.  Had an Apex Gold mission that I got 2 grand for, and one Mission Results fail to load.  Its network issues, not game bugs.  I've played matches where everything is fine and then it gets a little laggy, and then gets worse and sometimes the host drops.  If the sound fault is caused by overloading the sound engine across the network they might be able to add a buffer or something.  Players need to make sure that they havent got an update trying to download or a virus scan running on auto. 

Message 75 of 203 (1,837 Views)

★★★ Pro

I tend to play more on silver mostly because I've not really played much on gold 'yet' and it astounds me how many people actually try and muddle through with rubber-banding lag where you turn the same corner several times in succession due to the lag or you freeze and can't move with nothing but the sound of incoming damage to worry you.   Do i stay in these games?  hell no.   

i do all my updates out of session, and my antivirus also informs me if i've updates due to be installed too, so if i miss the os telling me, my AV reminds of the same.

I suspect that if you have someone from the countryside trying to host a game, then for them they may see no issues as they are running smoothly, but i've seen other players lagging and its very noticable.   Silver/gold is not fun with lag.

The sound issues though?  you get yourself in a really good game, with a team that works well together and then BAM sound goes, and much as you'd love to stay and play several games with this team, the nagging thought that NO SOUND brings is that you are not going to be playing to your full optimal ability so it makes sense to quit out and restart the game.

Having played many games across many years though, this is the first game i've bought that forces me down this route and this often too.  I can play for 4 hours solid without it happening one day and then it happens at random in a game where no lag is evident.. but another day i can just have launched my game for the first time after a pc boot up and then it happens early in that game session.   Rhyme? Reason?   Who the devil knows?   but if anyone finds anything that really stops this from happening, i would be very happy indeed if they would share their workaround as currently i don't believe there is one.

Message 76 of 203 (1,833 Views)

★★★ Novice

hotfix 1.07: sound glitch still unrepaired

Message 77 of 203 (1,821 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

What? I am not suggesting changing and keybindings or knocking out the Tilde key in your game. Just to turn off MS Windows Sticky Keys, Shortcut keys in Windows. Just a suggestion. 

Message 78 of 203 (1,816 Views)

★★★ Pro

My keyboard has a gamer mode feature that does precisely this, and i generally play with my keyboard in this mode.  sadly its had no effect towards stopping the problem.  have tried in both enabled and disabled for gamer mode just makes no difference for me at least.

Message 79 of 203 (1,800 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem

is very frustrating

Message 80 of 203 (1,727 Views)