FREEZING/CRASH SEASON 15

by T0BACKY

Original Post

Re: FREEZING/CRASH SEASON 15

★★★★ Apprentice

Since this latest S15 update Apex Legends started having freezes with no observable pattern. When that happens, there is no way to continue playing. The game process has to be killed and the game restarted, which is very annoying.

How it is possible that such major bugs slip through all the testing and QA phases is beyond me. There is so much sloppy work done nowadays... 

Message 81 of 702 (1,832 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@VaIkyrieAbuser This is kind of working for me atm, was able to play a game and have a couple engagements with other teams
Message 82 of 702 (1,809 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@T0BACKY back to crashing, tried that and windowed mode, everything presented in the thread, itd be cool if EA could tweet something.
Message 83 of 702 (1,784 Views)

Freezing / pseudo crash / hang almost every game INC FIRING RANGE

★★ Novice

IMPORTANT: THIS HAPPENS IN FIRING RANGE TOO Happens at least once per hour of gameplay, sometimes as often as every 5 minutes of gameplay. Once I crashed immediately after landing, before picking up an item, no abilities or players nearby. Contrary to other's experiences I had the crash in the firing range too, where I was playing newcastle and another player was using catalyst. Follows is description of the issue, fixes that I tried, and my specs. 

Observed in firing range, and new moon map in duos and trios BR. The display freezes, CPU usage drops from 80-90% to single digit percent, GPU usage drops to 0 instantly. Any sound effects or ambience playing at the moment will repeat IE. the loud diving sound before you hit the ground it was playing constantly until I ended the process, even though the image was frozen and process not using GPU. If I alt-tab, 4/10 the process will end itself with no error message or crash.txt and the other 6/10 times I have to end the process myself. If I tab back into the game it is a black screen with no audio. ANother observation to note is there are no application or windows events in event log preceding the crash, just easy anti cheat closing after I end the process finally. No crash.txt either, so I have no idea how we are supposed to provide you guys with usable information, please let me know how. 

This began with the season 15 update. Nothing was changed on my PC adjacent to the update. The crashing was immediate and unprecedented. Somehow you guys fixed the S14 instant hanging on connecting to a match though, but we had a workaround for that (alt tabbing until legend select). The game is unplayable and I recently grind to diamond for the first time with my team, we played in preseason too. Really soul crushing that my PC can't run the game now. 

I have tried all the popular fixes, skip this section if you want (Disable all in game overlays (steam, disc, razer, geforce) full screen/windowed mode, toggle one-by-one all video settings in game, all nvidia settings in control, DX12 mode, deleting assets folder, closing background processes (fully closed all razer/geforce processes), I bought a new GPU because it was time anyway went from 1060 --> 2060 using latest release drivers on both cards, installed latest nvidia HD audio drivers, disabled all audio output devices except one

I have a few things left to try. I'm going to try closing Discord and as many windows processes as possible, then walking back drivers a couple of times, then capping FPS to 60. These were resorts I really hoped I didn't have to try, and hope they don't work. I'll keep tinkering with it tomorrow when I have more time. 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043)

English

BIOS 0906

Intel Core i5-7500 CPU 3.40GHz

16384MB RAM (16 gigs on 2 sticks)

Page file 8728MB used, 15585MB available

DirectX 12

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB running 2 monitors, LG 144hz 1920 x 1080 32bit main display, samsung 60hz 1336 x 768 32bit

nvidia driver nvldumdx.dll 31.0.15.2647 10/24/2022

sound driver RTKVHD64.sys version 6.0.1.7997

using a razer viper mini, and black widow ultimate, and usually an xbox controller plugged in for when I feel like leaning back and hitting sprays

pls fix

Message 84 of 702 (1,095 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wanted to add my 2 cents, tried all the workarounds 1 at a time and also a combination of all. Still crashed in all situations. Cause seems to be complete randomness, sometimes I crash a minute in, other times I go the entire match just fine until the last fight (that one hurt). Running a GTX 1080TI, talked with some friends who are not having any issues, they have newer hardware / possibly more video memory

I want to also mention that I had this freezing issue last season on storm point (although it was much rarer), so I believe the issue is not map related. If it is map related then it's something that the new map has a lot more of that storm point has fewer of

I am running the game on lowest settings for the highest framerate, average of 144fps

Message 85 of 702 (1,678 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

already try all of em but still froze the game pepesad
need to wait for hotfix patch 

what i tried : 
- verify the game (steam)
- use dx12 beta
- windows mode
- borderless mode
- nvidia reflex (in game setting)
- set EAC priority to low
- delete asset folder
- low setting in game

- turn off overlay discord , steam , nvidia ex
- lunch option +fps_max 80 or 75 or 60

Message 86 of 702 (1,667 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

As many people said, i can confirm that in 2 PCs with Win10 Pro and RTX 2070 (latest drivers), since this latest S15 update, Apex Legends started having freezes with no observable pattern. It usually freezes randomly in game without a specific movement or action. It freezes 2-3 times per game. It is unfortunately unplayable.

what i tried : 
- verify the game (steam)

- borderless mode

- low setting in game

- nvidia reflex (in game setting)

- deleted the game and donwload it again...

No clue what is going wrong.

Message 87 of 702 (1,620 Views)

★ Apprentice

This is getting ridiculous, last season, I couldn’t play a match without experiencing stuttering every few seconds. And now, they fixed the stutter but the game freezes randomly. What the heck are they doing over at respawn???

Message 88 of 702 (3,252 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I think I found something...

if in beta update we have to add "-eac_launcher_settings SettingsDX12.json" so I try to change it to "-eac_launcher_settings Settings.json"

The location of the file is in
..ApexLegends/EasyAntiCheat/Launcher

TAG and Reply me if solved... i try this for 3 match maybe more....
and i try on my live stream if u wann see on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/@douw

Update...
Tested on Stream > NOT SOLVED !

Message 89 of 702 (3,221 Views)

Apex Freeze Randomly in Season 15

★★ Novice

The game randomly freezes and the audio still continuing, but when alt + tab the game become blackscreen and game needs to be end with task manager to restart until it become playable, Had this issue before season 15 while waiting to enter "choose champion phase" but nowadays its like every match i need to freeze every 10 20 minutes

Message 90 of 702 (3,497 Views)