Can't install Sims 3 Base Game

by eiriuesugi

Original Post

Sims 3 Successful Installation

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

If you are having trouble installing Sims 3, or any game for that matter, the following is a procedure taken that may resolve your problem.

Step One:Open Origin, and sign into your account. After doing so go to the game that was giving you trouble, in this case Sims 3 was giving me an issue.

Step One Image: Game Select/Install Button

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step Two: Click "Install", and let the install go on, until it fails. You will notice a wizard attempt to open, and be dysfunctional. As the wizard box is displayed, open your Task Manager, and click on processes if you are on Windows 7, or less.. or simply expand the box if you are on Windows 8/8.1.

Step Two Image: Task Manager/Processes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step Three: The Install wizard will vanish, the moment it does, look on the process menu, and click on the installation setup with your right button, you will then want to go to "Open File Location", it will then open the setup for Sims 3.

Step Four:Look for the setup.exe (or something similar depending on your OS) and right click it, run that in compatability mode. Choose your own options when prompted to do so to specify that the display of the wizard is what is giving you an issue. Your system will now check for issues within that program, simply save the options you chose, without testing it.

Final Step:At this point, right click on that same setup.exe program folder, and run it as an administrator. The Sims 3 installation will now appear, and prompt you with the terms to agree to, etc. When asked if you would like to install the default settings, or custom settings, choose custom. Change the installation location to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. Exit, and restart Origin, so that it will recognize that the game is now installed, and click play to continue.

The reason the installation wizard is not working properly is because the game is by default set to install to C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\, which is a folder that does not exist on the computer, as far as I have personally studied. It's basically looking to that folder to explain to it what to do for the installation, and since that folder is not there, there is no explanation, thus the wizard would crash. Be sure not to omitt any of the steps I provided, and if you need further examples, each link is a image to help you visually understand what to do. If you have further questions please reply.

**The game now successfully works for me**

If you are having trouble with these steps, and would like to Teamview each other, I would be delighted to help anyone out. Simply download, and install Teamviewer, and I can limitedly, assist you on your computer remotely, while you watch, and control what I do. Quick, and painless. Best of luck.

Message 11 of 14 (639 Views)

Re: Can't install Sims 3 Base Game

★★★ Newbie

I have been having this problem too and just figured it out. Go into my computer then go into program file (86) find origin games and click on that. Then click on Sims 3 and then the _Installer folder.  Then find Sims3setup click it. That will actually install the game. I hope it works for you like it did for me Standard smile

Message 12 of 14 (414 Views)

★ Novice

Oh I've got the game working. I only made this post as per request by a EA employee over the phone. That way anyone who faced the problem would be able to correct it, until EA was able to find the bug causing the issue, which they have to my understanding now done. Unfortunately doing it your way did not work for me, and it took extra measures, but as long as it is working for you, then enjoy! - Thank you for your consideration and generosity and seeking to help me, even if I didn't need the help anymore, it's the thought that counts!:cattongue:

Message 13 of 14 (411 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@TheMagicalBeard thank you very much for sharing Standard smile 

Message 14 of 14 (408 Views)