Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged.

by ximenarifai

Original Post

Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged.

★★★★ Apprentice

I know there's a bunch of threads about this topic, but I've tried every possible solution to this problem and keep getting the same message. My game was working fine, then it updated and now it's acting as if something is missing. I've already tried, repairing the game, uninstalling it and redownloading it, clearing caches, taking mods out, doing a factory reset, etc. I need help please!! I've attached a screenshot of the error just in case. 

Message 1 of 15 (1,062 Views)

Re: Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged.

★★★★ Apprentice

Update: I think it has to do with one of my expansion packs not being okay. I did some research and the EP05 (Seasons) seems to have a lot more folders than what it should? It has all the EPs, FPs, GPs, SPs inside of it. It also doesn't have any folder with the worlds in it? I will try to attach a screenshot to further explain what i'm seeing, but maybe this is the culprit? 

@Bluebellflora i really need your input! 

Message 2 of 15 (1,040 Views)

@ximenarifai 

What's the file path of that EP05 folder? DLC is in the Sims 4 Packs folder which should be in the same location as the base game:

Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 08.47.26.png

And in the EP05 folder, you can see the file path at the bottom of the Finder window:

Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 08.44.34.png

If it doesn't look like that I would cut your losses and trash the Sims 4 Packs folder then open Origin and re-download all the packs again so they are all in the right place. Much quicker and easier than moving files around and trying to figure out what goes where.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 15 (1,028 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora so I can see there's the Sims 4 Packs folder & the Sims 4 game in the same "Applications" folder, Xime --> Applications --> The Sims 4 Packs BUT there's only another Sims 4 Packs folder in Macintosh HD --> Applications --> The Sims 4 Packs. Also the EP05 located Sims 4 Packs folder in my "Xime" username is filled with the other packs along with the files you show below. I''ll attach a screenshot again so you can see it better. 

Message 4 of 15 (1,013 Views)

@ximenarifai

No need for any more screenshots, I understand the problem Standard smile

Any other Sims 4 packs folder outside of Xime > Applications is redundant. The game only looks in the same location as the base game for DLC.

Your EP05 folder should look like mine so something is wrong. I would still trash the Sims 4 Packs folder and re-download.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 15 (992 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora Hi! I know its been a while, I've been really busy but today I had some time to go in game & I'm still having trouble with it. I don't really know what else to do. The game data incomplete message keeps popping up, some packs in game say "owned" but when I go to Origin, some of them, for example: Parenthood, it says "download" & when i click on it to do so they won't download. I know it can't be my mods and cc because I took them out and still got that issue. I've attached all the screenshots of how my Sims 4 Packs folder looks like, with every pack & their content. Thank you again for your help! 

Message 6 of 15 (755 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Here's the rest of the contents in each pack 

Message 7 of 15 (754 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

These are the last 2 screenshots 

Message 8 of 15 (753 Views)

@ximenarifai

Run the Origin reset tool - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 15 (749 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Ok, that seemed to get rid of the message but how do I safely add all my mods and cc back? I have over 10,000 mods and cc items combined, and no matter what I add, even if its little by little, it breaks the game, when it didn't before. 

Message 10 of 15 (738 Views)