can child account play garden warfare online?

by dudeskies321

Original Post

Accepted Solution

can child account play garden warfare online?

★★ Novice

I bought a digital copy of garden warfare on my xbox one and it's linked to my gamertag.  I have added my son as a "family member" so he has his own xbox gamertag that is a child account.  (I have enabled his account to have permission to play online games)   Can he play Plants vs. zombies garden warfare online with his gamertag?  Or would I have to buy another copy of garden warfare to link it to his gamertag?  An EA rep told me that's what he has to do.

It doesnt' make sense to me.  I played the titanfall beta with my gamertag and my son played on his gamertag.........no problems there.  If I buy a copy of a game, I thought that all child xbox accounts could play the game...?!

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (5,702 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: can child account play garden warfare online?

★★ Novice

You'll need to setup an Origin account for your child. I had to do the same thing for my son and he was able to play fine afterwards.

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (6,082 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

You have it purchased already, are you getting an error when you try to play on the child account? Can you try to play with your main account logged in to the xbox at the same time?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 10 (5,670 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes I am getting an error when trying to play on the child's account.  The game is purchased, downloaded and works perfectly when I'm using my xbox account.  But if my son signs into his "child"xbox account, then tries to play......it tries to connect to the EA servers and asks him to sign into origin.  I try to sign into origin with my credentials but it gives me the error.

My understanding was that a purchased game can be played by all "family" mermber accounts on that same physical xbox(each child using their own "child" xbox account and gamertag).....  Is this not true?

Message 3 of 10 (5,662 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

What error/message do you get when you try to enter your details? Do you have any other EA Games to see if you encounter similar issues on them? If you create a throwaway gamertag, does this just work or do you see issues there too?

Thanks.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 10 (5,658 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the same issues as the poster. My kid tried logging and playing under his child account as well but asked for origin account info which he does not have. I am able to play just fine with mine.

Message 5 of 10 (5,653 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have either of you guys had xbox live long enough to have changed the primary email address that you originally signed up to xbox live with? When I created an account for Batttlefield 4, the xbox one took that original email address... which I rarely use anymore... and used that instead of my current primary email address for live. Thus logging into origin would fail if you used the wrong credentials.

Message 6 of 10 (5,644 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, but no I have not changed my primary email address.  I appreciate the thought though.

Message 7 of 10 (5,635 Views)

★★ Novice

You'll need to setup an Origin account for your child. I had to do the same thing for my son and he was able to play fine afterwards.

Message 8 of 10 (6,083 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks! that worked.  I had to set up a NEW origin account for my son instead of trying to link my origin account.  THANKS!

Message 9 of 10 (5,592 Views)

★★★ Novice
Absolutely idiotic that this is necessary. There is absolutely no reason to have an EA or Origins account at all. We pay good money to have a PS4 Plus account for online gaming using Sony game servers.

I have 3 kids and have to create Origin accounts for all 3? Plus the wife? Just to play a game I've already bought and paid for? Even split screen local mode is unplayable without an EA account.

Sony needs to clamp down on this nonsense. I'm taking this whole system back to the store.

It's bad enough that Sony tries to force me to input my childs exact age, name, etc and create an online account for the kid. Sony has already been hacked once. I don't need my childrens identity details in the hands of hackers (or Sony)... Not sure which is worse.
Message 10 of 10 (2,863 Views)