Mods suddenly disappeared

by Grey_Rainbowz

Original Post

Mods suddenly disappeared

★★ Novice
Okay so I had a lot of mods for The Sims 4. Y’know hair styles and stuff. But then when I bought a resource pack all mods just disappeared! I’ve tried to “repair” the game and update it but I doesn’t work. Every time I open the game a message pops up and says that the mods I had was downloaded on “a newer version of the game”. What should I do? Please help!
Message 1 of 17 (642 Views)

Re: Mods suddenly disappeared

Champion (Retired)

@Grey_Rainbowz

Hi! Are you still able to load your old saves or are they also gone?
If they're gone, I might have an idea - Do you have OneDrive?

If your saves are still available, but your Mods are gone, are you able to post a picture of this message you're getting?

Message 2 of 17 (635 Views)

★★ Novice
Do you mean when I quit the game? If so then yes, I can save everything. I have OneDrive. I will send a picture of the message soon.
Message 3 of 17 (619 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Grey_Rainbowz

For the saves, I mean, when you start the game, are you able to load any of your saves? With your usual households and such?

Sometimes the game chooses to use another folder than the normal one, C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, where you usually have all your files. If that happens, you cannot access any of you cc/mods, that you put in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods, but then also, you cannot access your old saves. So I'm asking this to try and find out what problem you have.

Usually when the game does this, it creates a new EA/The sims 4 folder in :\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents\, do you have have an electronics arts folder there? Standard smile

Message 4 of 17 (611 Views)

★★ Novice
Hi.
I can load all my saved games. The problem is that my mods don’t appear. This is the message I get (the message is in Danish, so I’ll translate it):

“Couldn’t start game:

The contents in your folder with user-data was created in a newer version of the game and can therefor not be loaded. Please update your game via Origin and try again.”

Now, the problem is that I’ve already updated it and tried to repair it, but it doesn’t help at all.
Message 5 of 17 (597 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Grey_Rainbowz

Can you post which version of the game you have?

I think it should say on the start screen, but I can't check right now..

Here's how you can find it

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning/how-to-find-game-version-info-in-Origin-Clien...

Or like this:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/834246/updates-how-do-i-know-i-have-the-latest

It should say

Is that correct?

(I would probably have understood the Danish, but English is easier, so thanks!) 

/neighbor to the northeast

Message 6 of 17 (591 Views)

★★ Novice
Yes, that’s the version it is. I guess I should update it?

By the way, are you Swedish?
Message 7 of 17 (580 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Grey_Rainbowz

Yeah, if you have the possibility to update it you should. But it the number i posted is the latest one, so you shouldn't have been able to have a newer version that that before.

Does the game start like normal without the mods?
We can try and do a resetting of your user files, maybe something in them has triggered this Standard smile

Resetting your files to factory settings.

• Make a backup; copy your The Sims 4-folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to an external drive or somewhere else on your computer, for example your desktop.
  • Rename the The Sims 4-folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_backup
  • Start the game, make a new save, and see if the error is gone. 
    (The game will have created a new The Sims 4-folder in your documents, this is supposed to happen)

• If yes, continue
      • If no, post a reply telling us the error is still there
  • Start putting folders back in the new The Sims 4-folder. Observe! After every file/folder, start the game and make sure it still works, before putting in the next one.
    • Options.ini - your game settings
    • Saves - your old saves. The sub-folders are not needed. If putting these back causes problem, try putting one back at a time.
    • Screenshots
    • Custom music - if you have any
    • Tray - your library objects; like lots, rooms and sims
    • Mods - your mods and cc, might cause problems when putting back

If putting back one of the folders was problematic and you did not work it out, please post a reply and we'll see if we can find what your problem is!

Source: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/

Good Luck! Standard smile

Yes, I am Swedish :eahigh_file:

Message 8 of 17 (570 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, thank you. I will try that.

Lol, I'm Swedish too!

Message 9 of 17 (564 Views)

★★ Novice

Omg! Det funkade! Tack!!! (Heheh #sweds)

Message 10 of 17 (563 Views)