Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not run. Please see the README for details. [2001]

by jrealdeal

Original Post

Re: Simcity: Sorry, your graphics card is below our min spec. The game will not

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Edit: In searching for a possible solution, I ended up just quoting something from the first page of this thread. So - no doubt you've tried this. Apologies! Note to self - don't respond from cell phone lol

I found this suggestion, but have no idea if it works. I think it's worth a shot - please let me know if it works.

For Unsupported Card [2001]

go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Simcity\SimCityData\Config

Save a copy of ConfigManager.txt to somewhere you can find it, such as your desktop.

Go back to the Config folder & open ConfigManager.txt in notepad. It will look like the text below this message.

Find the part near the bottom that says
"set DefinitelyFail -3"
and change it to read
"set DefinitelyFail 2"
Save the file, close it and try to launch SimCity.

If it gives you an error, you can just replace the changed file with the copy of the original

Spoiler
#############################################################################
# Configuration rules and options for SimCity
#
# This script both defines what the various game options
# do, and sets defaults for them based on the video
# card, sound card, CPU, and other factors.
#
# It also sets some properties determining what the
# hardware will support.
#

# Constants
#

set Off 0
set On 1

set Min 0
set Low 1
set Medium 2
set High 3
set Ultra 4

set ModernFail -1
set ProbablyFail -2
set DefinitelyFail -3

# Shader paths -- must match with Material/config.mtl
seti shaderPathMin 0 # Not well supported
seti shaderPathLow 1
seti shaderPathRecommended 2
seti shaderPathMax 3

Message 31 of 35 (967 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Peter_SH_1979wrote:
I met the same problem. It is hard to believe that the game can not be launched on my 2016 MacBook Pro, I just wonder if there is any solutions from EA?

Peter - 

I fear you have the same problem that is listed in this thread The OSX crashes started with the update to High Sierra; EA is working with Apple directly to solve the problem. It has been a very long and frustrating wait, but they have updated a few times. As far as I know, there is still no solution. The post below gives some options to try; I hope it could help you.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Simcity-Crash-OSX-10-13/m-p/6521679#M126297:

@EA_Mage wrote:

Hello all,

We have escalated the issue to the studio and Maxis is investigating it.

At this time it appears as though the problem is related to use of the Intel GPU in your Macintosh. Maxis is working with Apple to further identify the root cause and determine the best resolution. We do not yet have a timeframe for a permanent solution.

While the investigation is proceeding you may be able to work around the problem by:

• Connect an external monitor before launching SimCity or the Origin client. The Intel GPU is typically used with the built-in display, but a second GPU (NVIDIA, AMD, etc) may be used if an external display is attached to your Macintosh.
  • Consider using a utility such as gfxCardStatus ( https://gfx.io/ ) to force your Macintosh to use a non Intel GPU. (Note that EA & Maxis do not support third party applications and encourage caution when using applications downloaded from unknown sources on the Internet.)

Thank you very much for patience and understanding.

Message 32 of 35 (951 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Funny.
I have three PC's here, all with a different EA account.
Two are from customers, one is my own.
I usually use SimCity 2013 to test the PC's for gaming, just to see if something's wrong with 'm.

My own PC has a Sapphire RX480 4GB.
The two others have resp. an RTX2080 Super and an RTX3090.

I just did a clean install of W10 on my own PC due to a new SSD.

On all three of the PC's I get this stupid message, on April 17th 2021. >>2021<< EA/Maxis. What the ...

Seriously, this is completely *. Building mid- and highend systems since 1999, makes me a professional in terms of computers, software and hardware.
And this stupid message claims the used gfx cards are below minimum spec ?

The strange is, I get this message on an old 1GB GT630 as well and although that one is below minimum spec, SC2013 works without hickups on med settings (on my 2560x1080 ultrawide).

Message 33 of 35 (616 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Karnemeth - SimCity was released in 2013; the last update to the software was in December 2014. You're getting a default error message for an unrecognized card. Yes, it should have just said "unrecognized card" not "below minimum specs" but this is the way it was programmed.

Usually, you can just click through the warning and start the program anyway (as you've done with the old GT630). If it doesn't allow you to start the game, try changing the ConfigManager.txt line from "set DefinitelyFail -3"  to "set DefinitelyFail 2" as suggested earlier in this thread. Complete steps are Here and Here 

The change will bypass the error message and should start SimCity normally. 

Message 34 of 35 (600 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BlackjackWidow Hi, I didn't say I have issues with it. I said I get this, in my eyes, deluded message that even back in 2013/2014 was wrong.

I know my way well around in software/hardware, as stated. I guess, no offense, you didn't read my complete reply.
Message 35 of 35 (593 Views)