Simcity 4

by kretorrbwly

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Simcity 4

★★ Apprentice

So I have been trying to contact EA tech support with a problem I had with my Simcity 4 deluxe - I have a CD of Simcity 4 deluxe, I can install it but it won't launch. I searched the web and found that due to some update in the windows 10 system, the game is blocked or something like that.

I thought I could redeem the digital version using the code in the CD box, but it didn't work.

I tried to contact EA tech support, but I can't figure out the support system - I opened a case, recieved a mail about opening that case, and after a while the case became 'resolved' although I couldn't find any response from them!

I tried to find a live chat, from different browsers, no add-ons, and yet for some reason every time I try to contact them I reach a page with this statement:

"Thank you for contacting us. We’d love to troubleshoot your issue and get you back in the game!
​To speed up that process, we need to talk to you on the phone."

There's nothing else in that page - no live chat, no phone number,

So I guess the help I need is:

1. Is there a way to make the CD work on my windows 10?

2. If not, Can I get a digital copy to replace the CD? and how?

3. How can I contact EA tech support?

Message 1 of 15 (8,245 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Simcity 4

Hero (Retired)

@kretorrbwly - I escalated your case. Thank you for providing all your information to Customer Service. @EA_Cade was able to verify your CD code; please check your Origin account now.

Happy building!

View in thread

Message 13 of 15 (8,592 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

Update: I just tried to contact them again, and received the response "Sorrt, No Channels are Available".

What else can I do?

Message 2 of 15 (8,212 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @kretorrbwly - Sorry you've been having troubles with contacting EA. Due to the current pandemic, EA Customer Support has temporarily changed their operating hours AND the Customer Support lines are probably extra busy. 

I can answer your main questions:

1. No way to get SimCity 4 Deluxe on CD to work on Windows 10. The game CDs were protected by a now-unsupported version of DRM / copy protection called SecuRom, which is not supported by Microsoft anymore

2. You might be able to get a digital copy to replace the CD; if you bought the CDs as a new, unopened retail box. If you recently purchased it as a used game, the code is probably already registered. In that case you would have to return it to the seller and explain that you can't use it. If you've owned it for a long time, it's also possible that you registered it in Origin under an old account, and you might be able to get that transferred to your newer account. In any of these cases, you do have to Contact EA and talk to them so they can help.

3. Since you opened a case and they want to speak to you, you will want to open a live chat with them. (you can check your open cases here: http://help.ea.com/en/my-cases) 

@kretorrbwly wrote:

Update: I just tried to contact them again, and received the response "Sorrt, No Channels are Available".

What else can I do?

Unfortunately, that means there is currently no advisor available at the time. It was either outside the temporary operating hours (8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m, UTC Monday - Saturday) or all of the advisors were helping others and unavailable. The only thing you can do is try again - and try to be patient, as I'm sure they're doing the best they can under these circumstances. I know it can be frustrating. I hope you can get through soon and resolve this issue.

Good Luck & Stay Safe - hoping you're able to get into building soon! 

Message 3 of 15 (8,169 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BlackjackWidow I bought the game as a new copy, a long time ago. Never had any other account... So that's not possible.

I looked at my cases. Now I got offered to look for help in here. Still no option to contact them directly...
What should I do?
Message 4 of 15 (8,137 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@kretorrbwly - I'm sorry, since today is Sunday there is no phone support. According to this announcement https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/IMPT-Support-Options-Update/m-p/8864042#M334946, English support hours are temporarily reduced to 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m, UTC Monday - Saturday 

I checked the EAHelp Twitter feed, and they are actively answering help & account issues right now. I think your best options today would be message EA Help via Twitter or Facebook. I wish there was more help I could give. I hope you get this straightened out soon Fingers crossed

Message 5 of 15 (8,125 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BlackjackWidow I try to check between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m, but I still couldn't find any other response. Are they really active on the time they said they are active?
Is there by any chance an email address to sent a message to? Because they say you could contact them via email, but I couldn't find any address.
My problem is I don't really have a twitter account, and I don't want to open an account just for that...
Message 6 of 15 (8,113 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Remember, they're not open on Sundays. Make sure you're converting to your time zone - it's 8 am to 11 pm UTC. In EDT, that's 4 am to 7 pm https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

I understand about Twitter; the only other option of which I'm aware is Facebook. I'm asking around if there's any more help / ideas for you, but if Facebook & Twitter are not options, you may have to wait until tomorrow and keep trying the chat options. (the phone options are disabled in all languages at the moment)

Message 7 of 15 (8,099 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BlackjackWidow I tried to convert to my time zone (IDT, so 3 hours ahead of UTC), and tried the live chat option on days other than Sundays. Never saw the live chat option once.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong... where would that be? Let's say I'm in the case, pressing 'resume'. I reach a page in which I'm supposed to see a contact option. Where would the live chat option be?
Message 8 of 15 (8,088 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@kretorrbwly - I'm sorry, I've never actually had an open case or used the EA chat before, so I can't say for sure. I don't know if maybe the options are usually there, but with the pandemic response issues they removed it? Or if there's another place for you to access.

I've reached out for more help & info, but you can imagine that between the limited support + stay home orders + Easter Sunday, it may take a while to get any more ideas.

I did get one great piece of advice - apparently, some browsers can run into difficulties with the support cases page. So I would suggest trying different browsers, in case the one you're using isn't getting all the info through.

Since you're running Windows, try Edge or Internet Explorer. If in Chrome, try Firefox (or vice versa) Check your settings - disable pop-up & ad blockers. I generally use Chrome and have had pretty good success in using an Incognito tab if I'm having issues with a web page.

If you are able to get the chat option to show, then just keep spamming the buttons & hope for the best (during the support hours, of course).

I'll let you know if I get any additional ideas. 

Message 9 of 15 (8,072 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @kretorrbwly

As was mentioned earlier, the support options for EA Help are a bit limited at the moment due to the current global situation. For more details check out this thread: 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/IMPT-Support-Options-Update/m-p/8864042#M334946

That said, if you're having trouble setting up a case during support hours try changing your location on the EA Help site to see if that helps. If you click on the flag icon up at the top of the page you can select a different location. I've seen cases where that has helped with connecting to the live chat. 

If you prefer you could also speak with the team via Facebook or Twitter as well. The team who works on those channels should also be able to help you get this sorted. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 10 of 15 (8,040 Views)