[Discussion] Boss Hunt Plant Rankings

by stukapooka

Original Post

[Discussion] Boss Hunt Plant Rankings

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Now we move onto plants. Plants are alot trickier to rank for boss hunts because so many of them are hard carried by certain variants and alternate abilities that can completetly change how they play the game compared to the zombies generalist styles that usually dont stray too far from the base class.

Anyway lets begin with the plant who can hold his own at the top.

1. 1a2e15ca-a51d-4401-9f56-8188a828a115.png

Torchwood has several things going in his favor that make him a valued assest for any team.

His health is the highest in the game and ensures he can take a beating and with his leaf shield he can assure he can survive even the deadliest of blows most other classes couldn't and stay in the fight far longer.

Blazin blast allows him to quickly melt enemies and clear a path while also applying fire damage.

Smoldering madness is what really pushes Torchwood ahead as it gets rid of his two biggest weaknesses, those being mobility since it increases his overall speed and his weapon overheat as he can keep firing.

It also applies fire damage during this spray and pray phase. You a timy bit of main damage but the fact that you can just keep pouring it on makes that trivial.

Torchwood is the teammate you want in any situation and he's got no crippling weaknesses to really make up for.

2. sddefault.jpg

Okay I know some will wonder why she's here over dps machines like corn but healing is almost absolutelty required on higher difficulties in the plant hunts to remove ice and fire effects.

Sunflower is also no slouch when it comes to dealing damage as she does have the sunbeam and an accurate long ranges automatic primary for most variants.

She can support teammates and heal herself. Her extra base speed is also good.

Variants like stuffy allow her support to skyrocket and others like vamp or metal petal allow her to hold her own in combat. None of the others can even be considered bad like some other classes.

Revive speed can also save entire games. They have for me.

She would probably be more middle of the list if healing wasnt so valuable but her much lower health does prevent her from overtaking Torchwood since she can't tank.

3. screen-shot-2019-06-26-at-12.56.14-pm.png

Gw marketing was blursed wasnt it?

He has good health and his cob busters cover a great range while providng good damage at all of them with plenty of ammo.

His abilties such as butter burrage and shuck shot allow him to easily damage both hordes and the bosses and allow him to destroy objectives like the burgers faster than most classes.

He also has husk hop to quickly move through the map and damage enemies.

All of his variants are good too and the fact that he has not one but two legendaries is a good sign.

4/5. IMG_0978-scaled (1).jpg

And 

jt9z3sg8z1l31.jpg

I feel these two are actually fairly close.

Peashooter is a jack of all trades character and i believe that shows up well here as he has a couple things going well for him.

His damage is nothing to scoff at and most of his variants can utilize splash damage which can be useful in many situations.

Hyper gives him great mobility and vertical gain and unlike citron can keep attacking.

Bean bomb is great against bosses and regular enemies as its damage can clear the field and since it attracts basic zombies it can be a great support tool at times. All the beans are viable options.

Pea gatling is another ability that just ascends peashooter slightly higher as it just makes shredding bosses/objectives so satisfying.

Peashooter main weakness is that his health isnt that great, his cooldowns can be harsh at times, and some of variants can actively mess him over in some way for hunts such as giving up splash.

Citron however is the second tank for plants with 200 health and his shields allow him to take on quite a beating.

Empeach allows a stun tool with a bit of damage aswell which allows citron to decently deal with hordes of enemies.

A major factor going for Citron is that his mobility is the best of all the characters on this list as his ball form allows him to quickly traverse the map without worrying about cooldowns and even gives his slowest variant a massive speed boost that essentially negates iron's biggest weakness.

However i'm not gonna put him higher since he doesnt have firepower on par with someone like corn, his damage falls off hard at range, and some of his variants are better than others. Two legendaries does help though.

I feel these two rely heavily on your team composition as if you need damage you should choose peashooter but if you want to stay alive or actively engage the bosses citron is better.

These next 3 were rather challenging as I went back and forth on them several times since they take much more to consider.

6. 6y3w356mmto51.png

Okay we all know that a lot of people think chomper is flaming garbage but I have to say he's just ok. He reminds me of tf2 spy in mann vs machince in that he does have use but his issue is he's generally outclassed but almost everyone is some regard and most of his options are just not viable and this applies here too since what chomper are we talking about? Stock? Chomp thing? Hot rod? Yeti Chomper? His entire viabilty moves tiers solely depending on what chomper you pick.

Lets start with positives: Most chompers have 175 health. This seems less impressive until you realize that chomper works suprisingly well as a semi tank as he can keep the boss busy in an emergency. Heck the guy has 3 variants that can all heal pretty quickly under the right circumstances.

He can get rid of armored zombies armor fast.

Goop can be surpsingly useful since both online plant hunts utilize fast bosses who need slowing down and he can stop other zombies in their tracks for the team.

Chomp cannon is strange since its a ranged option which depends on the chomper. If you arent running yeti its almost a must as its the only way you can hit objectives above you. However you do lose out on goops usefulness.

Burrow allows him to move rather quickly and safely. It also allows him to pick high value targets in a single strike. A unicorn/twilight warp can also cover massive distance quickly.

Both Spikeweeds arent great. Its just really a tool for chomper to secure a bite or vanquish some fodder zombie running into it. It can't affect zombie bosses and the cooldown is eh. Vamp weed however can be good since it restores chompers health. It does have niche use against blitzers when defending the gardens in the sasquatch hunt though.

The downsides are that outside of burrow, warp, and hot rod chomper (who requires losing 50 health mind you) doesnt have great mobility and most of his variants lack of range harms him severly since he needs to be upclose to the boss (which can be bad during the yeti damage boost phase forcing you to group up) or has most objectives in the burger/popsicple I believe? Phase spawn above him.

Chompers hard to rank because he's such an enigma in a team with his vastly different variants and abilities but I still think most versions general tankiness and suprising ttk can gel well with a good team.

7/8.

why-do-some-people-think-rose-is-bad-v0-0xbw83jruct81.jpgand

the-everything-cactus-v0-j8emtpekipeb1.png

Oh boy the final stetch and we have another Imp vs deadbeard situation here.

Okay I think i'm gonna slightly give the edge to Rose here and explain why.

In direct battles cactus is downright better. She has far greater range, damage, and her health is better.

However her abilities are extemely defense focused.

Tallnut barrier and iron maiden can delay the horde but when you constantly need to be on the move you can't utilize this for vanquishes very well.

Potato mines are very powerful but only usually hurt one target at a time. Nugget mines are worse most of the time dont use them please.

Drones rarely get off due to aimbot and hitting the boss with the slower corn strikes can be difficult.

These can be good at the bait/garden defense phase but when you need to constantly run around the map none of these are really helping cactus do great damage, move around, or aiding the team unlike deadbeard who has offensive tailored abilities.

Great at defending pots though. Nobody will harm my babies in the corner of the map.

Rose however is a team player as time snare can slow down enemies and goatify can make heavily armored enemies easier to deal with.

Arcane enigma can save her life in dire moments but Arcane lotus is better in every regard as it not only heals rose for 35 health but her team gradually as well.

Now lets be fair in that both don't have great mobility as you're working with what you got in there base speed. Cactus (especially jade) struggles with safely getting to the gardens for protection in that phase or keeping up with yeti king where even Torchwood can outrun her.

Variants are where I think the tie breaker is reached as most of the cactus' arent that good. A lot of them increase her flaws by slowing them down into an even heavier sniper style or creating a weird hybrid like bandit cactus who still has all the negatives of her kit attached (why not just play corn at this point aince damage is what youre clearly going for?)

Most of Rose's variants arent really great or terrible for pve (she does have a legendary but party rose is kind of eh) however she has one variant that just skyrockets her usefulness for herself and the team: Nec Rose.

Jinx being able to increase damage on every enemy allows rose to help shred bosses or champions. Nec rose is a great assest for any dps focused team.

Rose being overall more useful in a team is what in my opinion raises her slightly higher than Cactus.

In breaking them down into groups like zombies i would sort them like this:

Tanks- Torchwood, citron, and suprisngly most chompers.

You want these guys either carrying the objective such as the damage booster in yeti king or holding the boss' attention so the team can do tasks without much worry.

Dps- Corn, peashooter, cactus, and some chompers

You want this trio to usually be thinning the horde of enemies and destroying things like cursebearers or burgers quickly with their abilities and then wailing on the boss when they're vulnerable.

Support-Sunflower, rose, and with some ability management, chomper, again!

Prioritizng revives, healing, or slowing down/weakening more powerful enemies on the map.

Are we sure Chomper isnt the real jack of all trades class?

Plants team compositions are more interesting as they're reliant on what each member is bringing. Do you have a chomper? If so is he running Yeti? If not does he plan to goop support or run chomp cannon? Find out to work better with him.

No sunflower but a rose? Is she running Nec or arcane lotus?

Is your Party Citron tanking or balling?

Is your sunflower running dark flower but playing stuffy?

In my experience i'd recommend for Crazy hunts to bring one Torchwood, two sunflowers (preferably one stuffy), and then either a corn, citron, or peashooter.

Message 1 of 7 (513 Views)

Re: Discussion: Boss hunt plant rankings

Community Manager

@stukapooka I love these types of posts. So much detail in them which makes it way more interesting for conversations!

Cheers!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 7 (483 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@EA_Shepardi enjoy making them even though I ran out of a lot of subject material during the bfn days.

I really hope the franchise picks itself back up soon one day so I can continue doing these kinds of posts for the non tower defense games.

Message 3 of 7 (451 Views)

Community Manager

@stukapooka I get it. It happens. A couple of friends of mine played so much BFN that we kind of ran out of things to do other than keep playing. We loved it but we are achievement hunters and needed to do everything when the game was released that way we could support it. 

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 4 of 7 (398 Views)

@stukapooka I think Kernel Corn is perfect for boss hunt but his speed is the worst in the game.
Message 5 of 7 (286 Views)

Re: [Discussion] Boss Hunt Plant Rankings

Champion

I completely agree with Torchwood being at the top of this list! Doesn't really have any weaknesses during a Boss Hunt and has a lot of strengths and utility. I used him most of the time when playing the plant Boss Hunts. Sunflower is a must have especially against Yeti King as countering the ice attacks from enemies is of utmost importance, and it can clear fire damage from Sasquatch Boss Hunt too.

I also agree with the rest of the list. I do want to add though that with Chomper, having a lack of range can really hold it back in many situations but a skilled player would be able to use Chomper well in a Boss Hunt. There is Yeti Chomper too, which is most likely the best Chomper in Boss Hunts due to having more range compared to every other Chomper, as well as splash damage and can slow and freeze smaller enemies.

Message 6 of 7 (237 Views)

Re: [Discussion] Boss Hunt Plant Rankings

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@TheSprinter85I usually had to go sunflower because my teams would never pick her or the one we did have was bad or got overwhelmed too easily.

Chomper really went back and forth all over this list because simply swapping to yeti can move him entire tiers in PVE modes and top pvp chompers usually go to the bottom. 

Chomp cannon can also be used but thats mainly for chompers that are usually objective hunting while not playing yeti. You also lose out on goops viability though

He's such a weird character because he just has so much to pick from as some of variants literally just give him warp which is golden for mobility. Shame we'll never really get to see twilight chomper in action on hunts now won't we?

Message 7 of 7 (218 Views)