Just downloaded KOTOR, crashes when I hit Play

by Allaminator

Original Post

Just downloaded KOTOR, crashes when I hit Play

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I just downloaded KOTOR, can create a character and name, then when I hit Play the loading bar gets to about 95% and then the application closes. Any suggestions? I have attached the dxdiag.txt file if that is helpful.

Message 1 of 6 (759 Views)

Re: Just downloaded KOTOR, crashes when I hit Play

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @Allaminator 

Since KotOR is one of our older games, could you try to run it in a compatibility mode with one of the old operating systems (XP or older). I would also recommend to launch it as admin and close down background applications.

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 6 (735 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried running in compatibility mode for XP, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 98, and same results each time. Also tried changing the DPI settings in the Compatibility window, no difference. Would appreciate if you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Message 3 of 6 (724 Views)

Hey there, @Allaminator.

In addition to running it in Windows XP compatibility mode, another thing you can try is to disable some now-unsupported graphic settings. Modern cards and software have difficulty working with the Soft Shadows and Frame Buffer Effects. Please uncheck those from the Advanced Graphic Options.

Please let us know how that goes for you.

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 4 of 6 (717 Views)

★ Novice
@EA_Arrenai Thanks! I tried using XP sp3 compatibility mode with those two effects disabled. Unfortunately there was no difference; the program still closes at the same time as before.
Message 5 of 6 (691 Views)

Hey there, @Allaminator. Thanks for the update.

Let's try something else. Are you playing in windowed mode or full screen? If you are trying in full screen, please give windowed a try. If you're already in windowed, please try full screen. As they each interact with processing differently, I'd like to see if there's any improvement with one over the other for you.

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 6 of 6 (678 Views)