Still having problems, the 2 replies aren't fixes

by ASTROCAKE

Original Post

Still having problems, the 2 replies aren't fixes

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I've been having a plethora of problems with my game lately, and I've done most of everything to fix the problem.  My game just crashed, and it looked like the attachment here, I took a screenshot.

1. Blood puddles are square

2. NPC's armor and clothing freak out to different textures, sometimes gray blobs

3. Fire looks like sqaures, very pixelated

4. Extremely often crashing, in windowed mode and out

5. Cutscenes fluctuate rapidly with framerate, 60 on some camera angles and in game it's a nice 60

6. Loading screens aren't showing, the text in them is at like 5% opacity

I've tried only putting one core, I have DirectX 9 installed, everything is up to date, all combos of having the frame effects setting on, Vsync, fullscreen and not, and it all is the same.

So the game just doesn't seem to want to cooperate and I've tried most of everything.

Specs are:

Windows 10 (I had the same problems on Windows 7)

Nvida GeForce GTX 970

Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Quad Core

8Gigs of Ram

If I could get any assitance at all to help what is happening, I would be eternally grateful.

Message 1 of 7 (902 Views)

Re: PLEASE HELP, massive problems with DA:O

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Yep, me too.  Am in the middle of a complete DAO->TSP->RtO->DAA->GoA->WH run, and had this same thing happen.  (Repeatedly, because I had to re-do my entire DAA playthrough thanks to my own error about which DAO save to import.)

Getting the identical symptoms, but fortunately only during DAA.  And for me, it only started in the next-to-last part of the campaign after I made the decision to defend Amaranthine/Vigil's Keep.

Hasn't caused crashes (on my rig, which is very similar to yours) and except for slightly longer load-times during transitions it doesn't seem to affect my actual play.  Just visually annoying.

I'm guessing it's an nVidia driver issue.  Something about the latest (or relatively recent) version doesn't play well with the code in DAA.  As it had been almost two years since I had played DAA, I have no idea how far back to roll the driver to see if that fixes things.

Message 2 of 7 (854 Views)

Re: PLEASE HELP, massive problems with DA:O

★★★ Newbie

Well if you find any driver that seems to work way back, give me a heads up, if not, I still need some help from others.

Message 3 of 7 (846 Views)

Re: Still having problems, the 2 replies aren't fixes

★★ Novice

I've experienced many of these same problems. Would definitely like a fix for it.

Message 4 of 7 (731 Views)

Hero

For diagnostic purposes, you could try running the game on integrated graphics if you have that. If the problem vanishes, you can be certain the graphics card is causing the issue.

This is definitely not a long-term solution, however, since the game will likely run terribly on integrated graphics. I have previously used this method to diagnose a problem in Knights of the Old Republic, but that game is so old that I could just keep playing that way.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 7 (702 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm sure the issue is that the game doesn't recognize my graphics card or something to that affect. I was trying to avoid going to the integrated card for the reason you mention but I've played on it a little bit right now and it seems to be working fine.

Slightly off topic, but the kotor subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/ will definitely help you resolve any issues with that game. Should definitely check them out if you're interested in fixing any of the issues those games have.

Message 6 of 7 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@epukajlo At least we now know the cause of the issue. Could you share a dxdiag file? Maybe we'll find a clue in there.

@epukajlo wrote:
Slightly off topic, but the kotor subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/ will definitely help you resolve any issues with that game. Should definitely check them out if you're interested in fixing any of the issues those games have.

Thanks for the advice. My main issue with KotOR was that the grass transparency applied to objects behind the grass, meaning your legs would turn invisible. I have since found a fix on the GOG forum, so that works fine now. The only remaining issue is an instant crash when frame buffer effects are enabled, but I just keep that off. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 7 (631 Views)