Sim cant finish cooking. Broken path Speechbubble

by Sunday-smile01

Original Post

Sim cant finish cooking. Broken path Speechbubble

★★★ Newbie

Anytime I try to cook something with my Sim they cannot seem to finish cooking.

They will remove ingredients from the Fridge and I am charged money, but once they begin the animation and motions to cook upon the stove, they Get a Broken path speechbubble (Red Cross with footsteps) and then simply leave the unfinished food on the stove and refuse to complete the task, only allowing me to dispose of it in the garbage.

I have tried Repairing the game via Origin.

I have tried moving the Stove to a clutter free area

I have tried an entirely new home and new sim 

I have tried deleting localthumbcache.package

I have no mods installed.

Is there a fix for this or should I just stop playing altogether until the problem is resolved by the development team?

Message 1 of 11 (14,941 Views)

Re: Sim cant finish cooking. Broken path Speechbubble

Could you post a screenshot of your kitchen in game?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 11 (14,926 Views)

★★★ Newbie

First screen is a shot of the exact prompt that the Sim cannot Path to destination, which is likely a placeholder in the code that they cannot complete an action.  I do not believe this is a issue due to lack of space, but more of a default response to an error.

The Second Screen I am already aware that the Sim requires to use the toilet, however I will state now that this issue has been affecting me since last night.  I've since created a new household and sim as per someone else's recommendation.  However this has not remedied the problem.

Message 3 of 11 (14,919 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Okay I think I may have fixed the issue, its likely that I did some steps in the wrong order.

So for anyone else having issues, I hope you'll find this helpful.

Step 1:  Sell the Oven that has a problem.

Step 2: Save and Exit the game and open your SIms 4 folder and delete the localthumbcache.package file.

Step 3: Repair Game via Origin Settings.  (This step might not be necessary but I did it anyway.  If the issue crops up again I will do another test and update here.)

Step 4: Load the game save and purchase another stove with the funds from the sale.  

It has worked for me so far.

I'll keep my eye on this if it crops up again, but I have no way of replicating the bug.  From some reading it seems like a few folk have had this issue since as far back as early 2015, strange that it is still existent this far in development...

EDIT:  Well looks like I spoke too soon.  The problem has occurred within the hour.  I guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Message 4 of 11 (14,900 Views)

Do you have any mods or CC (custom content)? Could you try taking that out.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 5 of 11 (14,888 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have already mentioned in the first post that I do not have any mods installed.

Message 6 of 11 (14,881 Views)

Oh I'm sorry, didn't re-read your first message. 

Do you have this with every meal? Could you try placing an empty counter right next to the stove?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 7 of 11 (14,875 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have been cooking multiple types of meals but only so far as Level 2.  Grilled Cheese, Mac'n'Cheese and Eggs on Toast.

I have also tried cooking a Protein Meal when my Sim was having an Energised Moodlet, but she just plopped it on the ground after having the same "Cannot Path" Thought Bubble. 

So far I've been using a Microwave and Coffee Maker without any issues.

I've tried different Stoves (The latest I've tried was the Black Cast-Iron Wood Burning Stove, though it caught fire the first time I used it.  "Reliability 8 My *..."  I still need to test if this works or not.)

The first two beginner stoves have the same problem I listed above.

I've been trying new refrigerators since the cooking mechanic seems linked to the stove, but nothing seems to shed any light on the issue thus far.  Still the same issue regardless of the combination.   

EDIT:  I've re-read Phantomlover's previous post and tried a solution she offered.  I set up a blank counter next to the stove to see if that would work and yes, it works.  The Sim cooks the meal and then walks to the adjacent counter to plate the meal before eating.  

I will keep testing to verify by adding "clutter" to various nearby counters to see what works and what isnt, but so far, a blank countertop next to the stove indeed works!

If it keeps working I owe you a brew Phantom!

Message 8 of 11 (14,872 Views)

@Sunday-smile01 Sims need some space sometimes to put stuff on. They sometimes think clutter is way bigger than it really is. Happy to hear this is working, hopefully it keep working for you!

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 9 of 11 (14,845 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This happens to me too. And it's an already existing Sim home, I didn't make it. 

Message 10 of 11 (6,055 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help