Sims 4 mods, how do they work?

by blahbri

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 mods, how do they work?

★★★★ Novice

Please explain to me like I’m five.

I swear I’ve looked it up but I feel like the answers are for people who already know the basics which I do not..

how do mods work? 
I mean like.
Do I have to create one?

Or do I have to download a mod someone else has created? 
what kind of mods are there? 
do I have to buy them? 
where do I buy them? 
how do I make mods? 
do I have to be super sims savvy? 

honestly. I just want longer hair for sims and different personalities and maybe some cool furniture and pictures 

Message 1 of 3 (1,418 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 mods, how do they work?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@blahbri
1) Mods generally change/add/affect game play, where as Custom Content (CCs) are new build/buy items or create-a-sim items.

2) Mods and CC are not officially supported by EA, so if they mess up your game save, then it isn't EA's fault. Mods often always need updating after each EA game patch.

3) you don't need to create your own mods/CC, unless you want to. but that's a whole process

4) you can download mods/CCs from a number of websites dedicated to Sims 4 Mods/CCs, such as modthesims or from individual creator's Tumblr/Patreon/webpages {forum mods, please remove specifics if not allowed to post here}

5) Mods/CCs are generally free, but some creators like to have some reimbursement for their creative works, so will often put out an 'early access' to their work which is paid, but then they become free later

6) there are many many types of Mods/CCs, all dependent on what you want to add/remove/change to your game play. Some mods require you to own specific packs (e.g. mods relating to pets require you to own Cats and Dogs Expansion pack)

7) to add mods/ccs to your game, follow the steps here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,390 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@blahbri
1) Mods generally change/add/affect game play, where as Custom Content (CCs) are new build/buy items or create-a-sim items.

2) Mods and CC are not officially supported by EA, so if they mess up your game save, then it isn't EA's fault. Mods often always need updating after each EA game patch.

3) you don't need to create your own mods/CC, unless you want to. but that's a whole process

4) you can download mods/CCs from a number of websites dedicated to Sims 4 Mods/CCs, such as modthesims or from individual creator's Tumblr/Patreon/webpages {forum mods, please remove specifics if not allowed to post here}

5) Mods/CCs are generally free, but some creators like to have some reimbursement for their creative works, so will often put out an 'early access' to their work which is paid, but then they become free later

6) there are many many types of Mods/CCs, all dependent on what you want to add/remove/change to your game play. Some mods require you to own specific packs (e.g. mods relating to pets require you to own Cats and Dogs Expansion pack)

7) to add mods/ccs to your game, follow the steps here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php

Message 2 of 3 (1,391 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Thats_Me_Madz Thank you so much for this information!
Message 3 of 3 (1,335 Views)