I wish parent sims actually treated kids like their kids

by _awkwardlezbean

Original Post

I wish parent sims actually treated kids like their kids

★ Guide

It’s crazy to me how little interaction there is for parent sims and their kids. They treat them like literally everyone else. Like for example: my sims kid is sick, and my sim doesn’t acknowledge it in any form. I can write a sick note but to actually take care of them, there’s really nothing I can do other than write an excuse note. 

it would be nice to have special interactions for parents and kids. There’s very little. My sims don’t acknowledge their kids getting married, graduating, having grandkids (forget about acknowledging their own grandchildren) it’s just so generic. Even in social bunny, child sims call their parents by their names. I just wish there was more to it, im hoping with project Rene and these new babies that will be coming out, that it’ll be more personal between parents and their kids. Parenthood pack didn’t give much of anything in terms of raising children. I mean, the stuff like helping with homework but it’s just weird to me. The game is suppose to be a simulation, and mimic real life but in a lot of ways, it doesn’t. In common sense ways 

Message 1 of 3 (661 Views)

Re: I wish parent sims actually treated kids like their kids

★★★★ Guide

I think a lot of that is driven by the lack of time for it.  Time runs so fast in The Sims that if you build a large home it can take 4 hours to get ready for work in the morning because of walk time being so long.  Do sims have time to have any meaningful contact?  NRAAS had a mod to slow it down for Sims 3, but I couldn't figure out the cheats in Sims 4 to slow it down.

Many of the interactions are pretty oversimplistic - you have 10 different options that all do the same thing, are treated the same other than perhaps there is an issue of whether the other sim is interested in the topic.  They don't have family time or anything like that.  You have an amicability bar and a lust bar for relationships with anyone.  There is some depth from relationship bits but you don't really notice those effects in game.  But it seems to work because you don't have time to do anything more.  You often cannot even get them to soak in a hot tub together as one of them will randomly get out after 2 minutes of game time.  You try to sit and talk together during dates and it is difficult to get them both to stay seated.

They would have to slow things down to give you the type of depth you are looking for.

Message 2 of 3 (628 Views)

Re: I wish parent sims actually treated kids like their kids

★ Guide
@VeronicatheCD I don’t know, I don’t see how these types of interactions are any different than the ones we currently have. I don’t even mean anything super elaborate, even like the special interactions you get when you have certain traits.

Like: child sim is sick, parent sim can comfort them in some form that’s different. Maybe be able to make a special soup only available for when a sim is sick, just the regular little things we do in real life. Or like babies! Being able to sit and rock with a baby in the rocking chairs if they are sad or sick.

My sims son graduates from high school, or university and there isn’t even an option to congratulate them as their parents, no special interactions when they get married or have their own kids. It just feel TOO impersonal, and generic. You have children and don’t even acknowledge them really as children. Majority is the same as it is with everyone else. Like it would be cool if when my child sim got sick, to write a note to excuse them from class, but also take a vacation day and be able to take care of them in some form or atleast acknowledge it.

Idk, it just doesn’t seem like it would be that hard. Especially when they can get rid of the interactions that are essentially doubled like you said. You’d think the parenthood pack would have come with more interactions.

Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know. Just takes away from the game when my sim treats their own kids like friends. Or even like, my sims mother is a celebrity and when we had the first child sim, I aged her up and had to build a relationship with her grandmother which was hard because my sims kid would fangirl and then get embarrassed.

I see what you mean, I just didn’t think it’d be much different than the current ones Yanno?
Message 3 of 3 (624 Views)