Re: XP conversion to scraps for topped out players.

by RedFoxxie

Original Post

XP conversion to scraps for topped out players.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide
I'm sure quite a few of you are like me and topped out at 110 rank. It's crummy how game after game the XP points earned essentially just go down the drain. I love that I can get scraps daily by playing a round, getting a win, being highlighted, etc. I thought another great way we could get more scraps is for topped out players have their xp converted to scraps after each has game. There could be a meter, just like the battlepacks. Perhaps 10 scraps for every 10K xp or something similar? This would be a great use of the now seemingly useless xp once topped out. Especially since the battlepacks ate so random in reward and its more often than not that you get something you already have when earning or purchasing one. The last premium one I opened gave me a skin I already had! What do you all think?
Message 1 of 4 (542 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Well.. The thing is, currently as the XP is not in any way a resource one needs to really gain specifically, people aren't really fighting over it either. It's just a little show of progression and once it caps out, you know that you're at the top of the world. Other than the fact that levels give you war bonds, of course. But if we started giving out further rewards for XP to the players at the top, it would cause these people to become hungry for the XP. This in worst case scenarios would result in the top ranking people starting to grind low level people for XP in order to reap in the rewards and this would really make the gameplay worse for everyone. It would further encourage unbalanced teams and "XP farming" , such as purposefully not capping a flag on Conquest so you can keep bombarding it for free candy.

So while a good idea on paper, I'm afraid it would not be good in practice.

Message 2 of 4 (520 Views)

★★★★ Guide
XP is already almost.... Everything. It's used to get you everything in the game and is so encouraged to be gained that you get more if it for PTFO and squad play vs lone wolfing it. So to say XP isn't a resource we don't need or use anyway seeks quite inaccurate. I don't really know what you mean by how level players grinding low level players either....?
Message 3 of 4 (515 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

XP itself only gives you levels. Levels give you War bonds. War bonds give you unlocks. You gain enough XP and Levels with it fast enough by normal gameplay that most probably with approximately 50 hours of gameplay you will have enough War bonds to unlock everything you have desired and then some. For this reason, gaining XP is not something people stress much on BF1 and hence, people do not really try specifically to fight over it.

If we implemented a system where high level people gained more rewards for XP, they would start farming it. And since the most effective way of gaining a lot of XP is to kill a bunch of people, we would basically get meat grinders in which high level people stomp on low level people in order to gain vast amounts of XP for their rewards. This would encourage further unbalanced teams as it is easiest and fastest to gain experience when you can simply walk over the enemies. It really would not end well.

XP grinding can happen in many ways. There are multiple ways to achieve that. A common way as I mentioned earlier is the meat grinder method. Letting the enemy keep a position that is poor to defend and then bombarding it with vehicles for easy kills and XP without ever capturing the flag. Another common way is to just hold a line and farm XP through healing, resupplying and resurrecting without trying to even push forward.

What I am basically saying that it is not a good idea to encourage people to farm XP for rewards rather than play the objective.

EDIT: I am basing my opinion largely on experience with other FPS games with similar mechanics. For example, on Planetside 2, you gain "Certs" based upon the amount of XP you gain. With "Certs" you purchase in-game things, similarly to how War Bonds work on BF1. In that game though, due to the game being free-to-play, the amount of Certs you need to unlock everything is vastly higher. On top of that, the game has a "Cert sink" sort of system with Implants which you can equip on a character to gain small benefits to the character and they use as a fuel a resource bought through Certs. All of this makes XP a resource everyone is hungry for even late in the game.  As a result, it becomes quite common that bigger clans simply camp the spawns in the base and bombard the bases from afar with vehicles be it through air or land for free experience until people get tired and stop spawning in the base, resulting in nobody really having fun. Sometimes people do not even bother taking the base afterwards and rather wait till people come back there so that they can farm it once again.

Message 4 of 4 (505 Views)