Re: Why are underscores and other symbols not accounted for in UserID uniqueness

by AdrianhasIt

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why are underscores and other symbols not accounted for in UserID uniqueness?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Why are underscores and other symbols not accounted for in UserID uniqueness? 

Yes, they can be used, but why do they not make a username unique? lets say for example you want to be known as "The_Odor" but can't because someone is already "Theodor". Those are 2 very different names but Origin won't allow you to use it since underscores do not count. Numbers count for uniqueness, so why not add dashes, periods, and underscores as well?

I find it very absurd to be honest. If you guys could implement it, that would be great. It wouldn't benfit me only but plenty of others as well, I'm sure of it.

Message 1 of 10 (17,482 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why are underscores and other symbols not accounted for in UserID uniqueness

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Good point. I'm sure there's some good back-end reason why this is the case, but for now it's good feedback. 

Perhaps it was a design decision as once you stray away from the standard Latin alphabet you can get some monstrous usernames. I can't promise it'll be changed, but in any case thanks for the feedback. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (17,831 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Good point. I'm sure there's some good back-end reason why this is the case, but for now it's good feedback. 

Perhaps it was a design decision as once you stray away from the standard Latin alphabet you can get some monstrous usernames. I can't promise it'll be changed, but in any case thanks for the feedback. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 10 (17,832 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_David, the problem here is not actually the use of underscores in the first place, its about how it doesn't make a user ID unique. It's very weird and I don't understand why EA would allow the use of underscores for the first place, but not allow it to be a means of making a username unique. EA allows numbers in peoples usernames, and they can use that as alternatives if their first choice was taken, so why not add underscores, dashes, and periods as well?

Message 3 of 10 (17,445 Views)

Hero

This is my theory.

EA employees like to have their name like this:

EA_name

So, they added the underscore to the allowed characters in usernames. They however didn't want people to impersonate already existing EA people by allowing usernames like EAname so they made the underscore not count towards username uniqueness.

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 10 (17,433 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Carbonic why not just disallow users from impersonating EA staff? Also I doubt people would impersonate EA staff in game. In the forums there is a tag behind their names that says "EA", so impersonating staff would be hard for people.

I really just don't understand why EA does this, and if they have no reason for it, why not allow it to make a userID unique? It would make plenty of people happy.

Message 5 of 10 (17,426 Views)

Hero

People are already not allowed to impersonate EA staff. This however not mean that people don't try or that people in here all realize that the EA icon next to some names mean they work for EA more than other people - alot of people are easily fooled.

"I really just don't understand why EA does this, and if they have no reason for it, why not allow it to make a userID unique? It would make plenty of people happy."

I've already told you my theory as to why it's like it is and as it is apparently build into the system and as the Origin ID is used acroos multiple places it would probably be a pain to change. You should probably be glad you are allowed to use things that aren't letters at all. Also, you've the first person I've seen in here that has been complaining about this - saying it will make "plenty" people happy is probably an exaggeration.

carbonic signature

Message 6 of 10 (17,422 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

it would allow for more username possibilities. I wouldn't say it's something useless to implement :/

Message 7 of 10 (17,416 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry to bump this very very old thread but I'm trying to change my username to Saircat (or even Saircat_ ) and for some reason, the reason I can't have it, is it already "exists".

You know how it already exists? It is merged within other peoples usernames. AmaisAirCathair and Saircatronis

Because "Saircat" falls within those pre-existing names, I cannot have that ID name.

Explanation? Resolve?

If someone got "Saircat" before me, then fine, count my losses, I was too slow. But the fact these users have it within their name is ridiculous. It's like banning "Sand" when the name 'SandmanSleeper' already exists.

Sorry to be heated, but I feel it a little unjust. Thanks to any replies/advice

Message 8 of 10 (15,757 Views)

★★ Novice

I hear you mate, Origin's username system is absolute garbage.

Look at Steam for example. They require a unique "Account Name", but your displayname can be whatever you want. Which is awesome.

Now, look at BattleNet or Discord. There you have a unique "number" associated with your account and your displayname can be whatever you want.

Meanwhile Origin not only requires a totally unique name, but it seems to not allow underscores to count for uniqueness and literally every decent username is taken on the platform. This really really needs to be updated. It's baffling how their system works this way in 2020, but at least they don't charge you for name changes like BattleNet does -- that is just appalling greed on display.

Message 9 of 10 (10,946 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, I am locking this thread as it is quite old.

If a symbol is not allowed in your username then you will be unable to use it.

I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 10 of 10 (10,873 Views)